1935 Public Works Department Annual Report
A copy of the original is available at HKGRO: http://sunzi.lib.hku.hk/hkgro/view/a1935/941.pdf
- Q 5 -
new Central British School on Argyle Street; extension to St. Mary's School on Austin Road; Maryknoll Convent School on Waterloo Road and Boundary Street; substation for the China Light & Power Co., Ltd., on Chatham Road; engineering workshop for the China Light & Power Co., Ltd. on Dyer Avenue; site formation for large residential and day school at Hau Pui Loong; motor bus shelters at Tsim Sha Tsui; private hospital on Kiu Kiang Street; widening and lengthening of pier at the Kowloon Wharf & Godown Co., Ltd.; Chinese hotel on Nathan Road; and Dispensary on Yee Kuk Street.
27. Buildings of importance completed were:—
- New Hong Kong & Shanghai Bank on Queen’s Road and Des Voeux Road, Central;
- Cheero Club on Queen’s Road, Central;
- new factory of the British American Tobacco Co., Ltd. on Gloucester Road;
- extension to the Soldiers and Sailors Home on Hennessy Road;
- site development and Gasometer for the Hong Kong & China Gas Co., Ltd. at Smithfield;
- office block and flats at Nos. 3 and 5 Duddell Street;
- office block at Nos. 15 to 19 Queen’s Road, Central;
- extension to Sincere Co. Building on Des Voeux Road, Central;
- Bank of East Asia Building on Des Voeux Road, Central;
- Gold and Silver Exchange on Mercer Street;
- Lido Bathing Pavilions (1st Section) at Repulse Bay;
- Theological College on Stubbs Road;
- Headquarters of the St. John’s Ambulance Brigade on Tai Hang Road;
- Confucius Hall at Sookunpoo;
- Tungar Printing Press at North Point;
- Buddhist Temple and Free School on Shan Kwong Road;
- Industrial School at Aberdeen;
- “Best House” at Stanley;
- Club House at Kowloon Tong;
- Gas holder and tar tanks at To Kwa Wan;
- motor bus shelters at Tsim Sha Tsui;
- widening and lengthening of pier at the Kowloon Wharf & Godown Co., Ltd.,
- block of twenty-four European houses at Shamshuipo.
28. Occupation permits were issued for 158 Chinese tenement houses, of this number sixty-one were erected in Kowloon and ninety-seven on the Island, of the latter number, eleven were erected on the Praya East Reclamation, making a total to date on this area of 1,016 houses. There was a slight increase in the number of occupation permits issued for European type houses, thirty-five being erected on the Island and fifty-nine in Kowloon.
29. There was a decrease in the number of non-domestic type buildings completed when compared with the returns of the preceding year.
30. A comparative statement of the number and type of buildings in respect of which plans were deposited, is given in Table XV.