Old Hong Kong Photos and The Tales They Tell, Volume 1
Price & how to buy
The Gwulo book is available to buy online, or in local book stores:
- Buy online: click the Buy this button above to order online and have the book mailed to you. Local and international orders welcome.
Shipping within Hong Kong is free of charge, and shipping to other countries is by airmail. You'll be shown the shipping cost during checkout, before you confirm your order.
SPECIAL OFFER: International customers - buy two or more copies for delivery to the same address and get FREE SHIPPING. (Just click the Buy this button again to order your extra copies.)
- Buy in a bookstore: Hong Kong customers can find the Gwulo book in branches of Bleak House Books, Bookazine, The Commercial Press, and the Swindon Book Co.
- "David Bellis has an obvious love for Hong Kong, where he operates Gwulo, a local history website, and this book is, the cover states, Volume 1. Let’s hope the next one comes out soon, perhaps with others to follow. Local historians approach their subjects with a love and enthusiasm sometimes lacking in more academic productions, and books like this are to be cherished for their informality and accessibility to readers..."
Asian Review of Books
- "Wonderful memories of my childhood were refreshed as the photos and stories brought to mind similar events." - "Very enjoyable especially as it is a project of passion." - "A great book if you're interested in historical changes over time to a city or just plain love Hong Kong." - "A must-read for anyone who loves Hong Kong."
- "... eye for detail marks out amateur historian’s book from the pack"
The book is a 112-page paperback, with a page size of 152 x 229 mm / 6 x 9 inches.
To take a closer look, please click here to download a PDF sample of photos and stories from the book.
From the back cover:
Not your typical photo book!
David Bellis, founder of the popular local history website Gwulo, shows you a selection of his favourite photos of old Hong Kong. So far, so familiar.
But then he takes you on a deep dive to discover and understand the photos’ most minute and revealing details. Plague-ridden rats (pg. 7), flapper hats (pg. 56), and chocolates (pg. 73) are just a few of the surprising clues you’ll investigate. Finally, David helps you piece the clues together to uncover the photos’ hidden stories.
"David’s ability to discern useful details from historical pictures of Hong Kong is exemplary. This book and Gwulo.com are essential resources for anyone curious about this city’s past."
"Listeners to my show on RTHK know David as a great teller of quirky Hong Kong stories. He brings the same insight and meticulous research to this, his new book. Good to see it is Volume 1 – looking forward to the rest of the series!"