Royal Hong Kong Police
We're occasionally asked how to investigate the history of the Hong Kong Police, and the people who served in that force.
If you are looking for details of an individual, try:
- The Blue Books (1844-1940) were published annually. Each book includes a list of all people working in the Police Force that year.
- If they were in Hong Kong when the Japanese invaded in 1941, try these.
Then there is general information about the police force:
- The Police website has a "Police History" section.
- The Police magazine "Offbeat" ran a series of history articles titled "Then & Now". The magazines are available online on the police website. A quick skim down the list shows it appeared in issues #760, and #769-#784.
- Also see the Hong Kong Police Museum on Coombe Road.
- The Marine Police are covered in a couple of books by ex-marine officer Iain Ward: "Sui Geng: The Hong Kong Marine Police 1841-1950" and "Mariners: The Hong Kong Marine Police 1948-1997".
- Private policing is covered in the book: "Watching Over Hong Kong: Private Policing 1841-1941" by Sheilah E. Hamilton. Visit publisher's website. View preview on Google Books.
Thanks to Guy Shirra, Iain Ward and Roger Houghton for their help in compiling the list. If you know of any other good sources, please could you leave a note in the comments below?