Buy direct from Gwulo
- Customers from Hong Kong, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, UK, USA, and all countries in Asia can click the Add to cart button above to order direct from Gwulo and have the book mailed to you.
- All orders to Hong Kong and Asia are shipped free of charge. Orders to Australia, Canada, New Zealand, UK, or USA are also shipped free of charge when you order two or more books.
Buy in a bookstore
- Gwulo's books are available in branches of Bookazine and other popular local bookstores.
Buy from Amazon
From the back cover
Not your typical photo book!
Meet the people of old Hong Kong through these rare photos, dating from the 1950s right back to the 1880s. There are cobblers, conjurors, compradores, croquet players, soldiers, sailors, Scottish golfers, hawkers, a Hungarian motorcyclist, and more! Who among them called Hong Kong ‘home’? Join David to find out, as he uncovers clues in the photos’ details that reveal each person’s story.
David runs Gwulo.com, the award-winning local history website with over 30,000 photos of old Hong Kong.
- "In this latest selection from Gwulo.com’s inexhaustible trove of old photos, David continues to find life and meaning in the most unlikely places. This is a brilliantly sympathetic exploration of the people, professions and communities who made Hong Kong work."
co-editor of Dictionary of Hong Kong Biography
- "In his fifth volume of Old Hong Kong Photos and The Tales They Tell, acclaimed historian David Bellis looks at the most important part of any society: its people. From all walks of life, here they are – young and old, rich and poor, local and foreign – all breathing life and energy into this place that so many have called ‘home’."
Prof. John Carroll,
author of A Concise History of Hong Kong,
Department of History, University of Hong Kong
The book is a 112-page paperback, with a page size of 152 x 229 mm / 6 x 9 inches
To take a closer look, please click here to download a PDF sample of photos and stories from the book.
Other books in the series
*The affiliate link takes you to the Amazon page for this book. It doesn't affect the price you pay, but if you order via Amazon, they pay a small commission to Gwulo.