New on Gwulo: 2020, week 09
Here's a summary of what's new on Gwulo. Please click through to the linked pages to leave a comment if you can add any information.
Gwulo talk in London on 28th March is postponed
We've postponed my talk to the Friends of the RASHKB that was planned for 28th March. Rather than run the risk of bringing along any unwanted viral visitors I've decided to cancel my visit to the UK. We've tentatively rescheduled the talk to early August, and will confirm nearer the day.
I'm sorry for the inconvenience - hopefully I'll get to see Gwulo's UK readers in August.
- King Neptune's ceremonies - what to expect the first time you sailed across the equator.
- Looking for:
- any radio or TV footage relating to adopted Hong Kong babies' journey to the UK in December 1962.
- help identifying a possibly 19th-century ceramic Chinese boat found by divers in Australia.
- information about the Halcyon Club / Circle, run by the YWCA in the 1930s & 40s.
- The Gwulo website gets another speed boost.
- HK Island
- Looking for information about the Hong Kong Zoological and Botanical Gardens.
- Happy Valley
- 43 Wong Nei-Chong Road [????-????]
- Circular pond inside the Happy Valley Racecourse [c.1885-1890] - now we know why it was dug!
- Grand Stand at Happy Valley racecourse [c.1866-c.1900]
- Paddock & Stables [????-????]
- Stand at the Happy Valley racecourse [????-????]
- Wong Nai Chung Village School [????-1928]
- Police Stations
- Kung Ho Terrace / 共和台 [????-????]
- Do you know the full name of this Russian Restaurant in 1960s North Point?
- Looking for information about 21, Po Shan Road
- Sai Wan Barracks [c.1845-????]
- Sailors' Home - Sai Ying Poon [1864-1955]
- Star Ferry Multi-storey Car Park [1957- ]
- Taikoo Recreation Ground [????-????]
- Former Wanchai Ferry Pier [c.1930-1968]
- Hung Hom Police Station [c.1875-c.1989]
- Memories of Kai Tak airport's troubles
- 6 Ashley Road, Kowloon [????-????]
- Chinese Houses on Peking Road [1914-c.1972]
- European Houses on Hankow Road (1920/30's) [c.1929-c.1962]
- Hart Avenue [c.1911- ]
- Jimmy's Kitchen Kowloon (1st location) [????-????]
- Prat Avenue [1920- ]
- The Red Lion Inn in TST had many homes over the years:
- Terraced building on Nathan Road, south of Granville Road junction [c.1910-????]
- Star Theatre, TST [1922-1961]
- New Territories
- Was there a Shekki Junk Wharf in Hong Kong? (The modern name for Shekki is Zhongshan.)
- Thomas ARNOLD [c.1844-1906] and his photographer son, John ARNOLD [c.1880-????]
- John Chetwynd-Chatwin, policeman
- Cecil Henry DALTON (aka Jim) [1903-1966] - and "The Indiana Jones of the internet" !!
- James Dyer BALL [1847-1919] and sons Arthur and Norman.
- Renate GEHRING [????- ] and sister Hanneliese Claire GRAF (née GEHRING) [1920-2007] remained uninterned during WW2.
- Fanny HAMSON [????-1920]
- Norman HILL (aka Bomber) [1922-2006], bomb disposal expert.
- Andrew NICOL [1898-????]
- William Andrew O'NEILL (aka Bill) [1903-1984], head of Reuters
- William James TUTCHER [1868-1920], Superintendent of the Botanical Gardens
- Eric Russell WALCH [1911-1959] and wife Dorothy Olivia WALCH (née DRANSFIELD) [????-????]
- Hugh Basil WILLIAMSON [1908-1992], BAAG
- Judith XAVIER (née BOTELHO) [????-1968]
- Fred ZIMMERN [1909-1977], HKVDC & POW in WW2, solicitor
- Siblings of the SAYCE or possibly COHEN family:
- Evacuated to Australia in 1940
- Stanley Camp internees
- Samuel Mitchel BANDER [1886-1948], with wife Amy Alice BANDER [1871-1950], and daughter Mary Stella BANDER [1913-????]
- Walter Daniel BARKER [1889-1959]
- John BARNET [1900-1988]
- Katherine Ellinor BARROW [1912-1992]
- Jeanette Blanche FISHER (née CALLAGHAN) [1889-1959], daughter Kathleen Dallas HUME (née FISHER) [1915-2001], and granddaughter Barbara.
- Johannes GRAF [1914-1988]
- Alys GREAVES (née GENTLE, aka Alice) [1884-????] and husband Aubrey Vernon GREAVES [1886-1971]
- Lewis Rudall SHORE [1899-1950]
- Janette Agnes Whyte Howard SHRIGLEY (née BROWN, aka Nessie) [1897-1977] (married to POW, Ralph James SHRIGLEY [1898-1944])
- Martha Jane STAPLE (née WARBRICK, aka Joan) [????-????]
- John Reginald Leslie STANTON [1902-1966]
- Margaret Matilda STARLING (née ROBSON) [1888-1974] and husband Edwin Leonard STARLING [1889-1944]
- Arthur Cecil VENABLES [1908-1951], prison officer
- Leonard George Garland WESTCOTT [c.1887-1953]
- Alan Edward George WHEELER [1908-1983], policeman
- Alfred WHITTAKER [c.1873-c.1953]
- Margaret Mary WHITE [1907-????]
- Raymond Frederick George WHITE [1915-1970], policeman
- Beatrice Lenola WHITHAM / HUMPHRIES (née BROUWER) [1916-????]
- Ronald Fred WILBY [1926-c.2012]
- Alan Cyril WILCOX [1890-1968]
- George Edward WILLERTON [1908-c.1994], policeman, and wife Ellen Norval Patterson WILLERTON (née RUSSELL) [c.1913-c.1959] and children George Edward, Helen Anne, and Norval Leslie James.
- Frederick John WILLEY [c.1911-????], with wife Veronica WILLEY (née THIRLWELL) and children Barbara and Brian.
- Louisa L Clara WOOLLEY [1880-1956] and daughters Evelyn Stokes and Iris Lillian
Click to see all recently added photos.