Former Wanchai Ferry Pier [c.1930-1968] | Gwulo: Old Hong Kong

Former Wanchai Ferry Pier [c.1930-1968]

Current condition: 
Demolished / No longer exists
Date Place completed: 
c.1930-01-01 (Year, Month, Day are approximate)
Date Place demolished: 
c.1968-12-31 (Month, Day are approximate)

Location is approximate. This was the old pier seen in some old photos when Gloucester Road was the water front.

Photos that show this place


Wikipedia states that this pier (first generation) operated from 1949-1968. 

Update: 1929-1968.

This ferrry pier was named Tonnochy Ferry on the 1957 map on Gwulo.

(c)   The construction of two public piers in reinforced concrete, one of these piers is situated at the end of Fenwick Road, and is, built T shaped, it projects a distance of 41 feet 4 inches from the sea wall cope and provides at its outer face a berth of similar length; the other pier is 120 feet 8 inches long and 35 feet 4 inches wide with four flights of landing steps and situated at the end of Tonnochy Road.

So the start of operations was probably as early as 1929.