I've listed some of the recent highlights below, but you can visit the What's New page at any time to see the latest additions to the site.
- Shipping R.S.I.L. Calcutta inspection covers to Hong Kong in the 1950s
- The Holland Engineering & Trading Co. Ltd. [1965-1993]
- Nick is looking for information about conditions in Tai Hang during the fighting in December 1941.
- The 3,000th Gwulo book was sold in the last two weeks. Between bookshops, Amazon, and Gwulo's online shop I don't know which was the order that passed this latest milestone, but in any case it is good news.
If you're planning to buy a copy of the Gwulo book in Hong Kong, local booksellers have faced a tough time in recent months and would really appreciate your purchase. You can find Gwulo's books in Bleak House Books, Blue Lotus Gallery, Bookazine, Hong Kong Book Centre, HK Maritime Museum Gift Shop, Kelly & Walsh, St John's Cathedral Bookstore, and Swindon Book Co.
Overseas readers can order from Gwulo's online shop or Amazon.com (affiliate link).
- Where were the opening scenes of You Only Live Twice filmed? The logo on this gentleman's glass gives the answer:
- Matthew has started documenting Hong Kong's navigational beacons
- The fine weather has had several readers out exploring Hong Kong's military relics.
- GDL directions slabs: Beacon Hill, Golden Hill Road, Lion Rock area, Lion Rock area, Lion Rock area, Lower Shing Mun Reservoir area, Pak Fa Lam, Shatin Catchwater area, Shatin Pass area, Tates Cairn area, Tsim Fung Shan (Hebe Hill), Unicorn Ridge, Unicorn Ridge,
- Pillboxes: 004, 005, 111, 112, 113, 120, 122, 215, 217, 218, 222, 300, 302, 306, 314, Aberdeen Upper Reservoir, Near Pokfulam Reservoir, Windy Gap PB 1,
- Japanese tunnels: Above Pokfulam Road, Above Shau Kei Wan, behind AOP Matilda, near Hong Pak Country Trail, off Hong Hong Pak Country Trail
- Other: Blockhouse 006, Shouson Hill AA Battery [1930- ], War Department Boundary Stone at Kowloon Pass [????- ]
- HK Island
- Where was Doctor Yersin's straw hut?
- Where were the Aberdeen Slaughter House and the Aberdeen Harbour Staff Quarters in the 1920s-30s?
- 10 Po Shan Road [????-c.1963]
- 31 Wing Fung Street [1957-c.2018]
- Bonham Strand Flush Latrine [c.1941-????]
- Cross Harbour Tunnel [1972- ]
- Kerosine Godowns, Kennedy Town [????-????]
- Mallory Street [????- ]
- Pok Fu Lam police station [1861-1980]
- Victoria Hotel, 10 QRC [????-????]
- Ardsheal / Ardshiel, The Peak (1st generation) [1890-????]
- New Territories
- Mr Agafuroff
- Karel (K.J.) BAGGERMAN [1918-1982]
- Charles WHITLEY [c.1871-1932], and children
- Richard Henry HAMSON [1870-1931]
- KEW family tree and KEW family charts
- Margaret Mary WEYLER (née PETERSEN, aka Maggie) [1887-????]
- Samuel Job WITCHELL [1858-1925], policeman, prisoner, manager, and hotelier!
- Stanley Camp internees:
- Joseph Wright ALSOP [1910-1989]
- William John ANDERSON (aka Andy) [????- ]
- George Leslie ANDREW [c.1912-2000]
- Lancelot Ruggles ANDREWES [1897-1963]
- Andrew Walton BROWN [c.1899-????]
- Muriel Wilfred BROWN [????- ] and husband Frank Leader BROWN [1888-1968]
- Maggie BUDDEN (née OLDING) [1888-1962] and daughter Barbara STEWART (née BUDDEN) [1913-1999]
- Mary Constance FAIRBURN (née BONNELL) [1900-????]
- Reginald Wilson OWENS [c.1908-????] and wife Alison Jeanette OWENS / WERNER (née FISHER) [1922- ]
- George Bernard WITCHELL [c.1892-????]
- Evacuated to Australia in 1940:
Click to see all recently added photos.