Samuel Job WITCHELL [1858-1925]
Samuel Job Witchell was usually known as Job Witchell.
Rudi Butt has gathered a lot of information about Job Witchell in his article Job And James Henry Witchell. Here are some of the key events from that article:
- 1858: Born in Chipping Sodbury, England.
- 1882: Recruited to join the Hong Kong Police Force, arriving in Hong Kong in September with his new wife, Maud Mary Powell.
- 1897: By then an Inspector in the police, he was accused of accepting bribes and sent to court. He was found guilty and sentenced to six months in prison with hard labour.
- 1898: After completing his sentence he was released from prison, and went to work at the Hong Kong Pipe, Brick, and Tile Works at Deepwater Bay.
- 1911-1915: Spent in Canada.
- 1915: Returned to Hong Kong, and started work as manager of the King Edward Hotel.
- 1925: Died of cancer at the Government Civil Hospital.
- Samuel Job WITCHELL [1858-1925] parent of George Bernard WITCHELL [c.1892-????]
- Samuel Job WITCHELL [1858-1925] parent of Edith Ethel SOUTHERTON (née WITCHELL) [c.1896-1949]
- Samuel Job WITCHELL [1858-1925] parent of Robert Charles WITCHELL [1883-1928]