New on Gwulo: 2021, week 2
A look at what's new on the Gwulo website ...
- 2021 started with an interview by the Apple Daily newspaper, chatting about running Gwulo, collecting old photos, and whether it's possible to making a living out of it! Here's the video of the interview:
Than here's the accompanying Chinese article, plus a copy translated into English by Google Translate. The article introduced Gwulo to many new readers - if that includes you, welcome to Gwulo!
- Animal visitors: IDJ has posted newspaper clippings about sightings of tigers, more tigers, and whales in Hong Kong in 1936.
- Notes & photos of the 1927 Typhoon
- Klaus found several Pathe films of Hong Kong scenes from 1968.
- Older readers may remember The Railway Tavern in Tai Wai:
While younger readers may remember riding on this miniature railway:
Peter Crush, a.k.a. Chinarail, was the owner of both, and tells us some of their stories.
- 17 & 19 Chatham Road [????-????]
- Au Trou Normand (French Restaurant, First Location) [1964-????], then the second location on Carnarvon Road
- Cornwall Street Children's Playground [????- ]
- Golden Glory Mansion [1966- ]
- Houses on Middle Road next to Blackhead Point [1915-????]
- Hung Hom service reservoir [c.1895- ]
- Paul's Mansion / Lucky Court [c.1974- ]
- Service Reservoir at Bishop Hill [1904- ]
- ValVerde - 302 Prince Edward Road, Kowloon [????- ]
- Yau Ma Tei multi-storey car park [1970-2021]
- New Territories
- Hong Kong
- Albany Service Reservoir (covered) [c.1905- ]
- City Hall multi-storey carpark [1959- ]
- Dam at Haw Par Stream [????- ]
- Hilltop Trenches and small Tunnel Mount Cameron area [????- ]
- Hong Kong True Light Middle School [1951- ]
- Japanese Tunnel Pok Fu Lam Reservoir (4 to 5 m South of PB) [c.1942- ]
- Lucina [c.1930- ]
- Sai Ying Pun Market (2nd generation) [1932-????]
- Top Gear Discotheque [????-????]
- Utopia Mansions [????-????]
- Victoria Court [1964- ]
- Whitty Street Tram Terminus [????- ]
- Deborah asks what was the difference between the "Union Theological Seminary" in Canton, and the "Canton Christian College"?
- Does anyone recognise this arch, and can confirm the location?
- Stanley Camp internees:
- C K H BEGLEY [c.1900-????], Salvation Army
- James Albert BENDALL (aka Jimmy) [c.1904-1967]
- Vincent Malborn BENWELL [1905-1978]
- John Smith DINNEN [1893-1966]
- Edwin Alfred PRITCHARD [1893-1946], China Maritime Customs, and daughter Pamela Therese PRITCHARD [1921-1966]
- Eileen Hendry TINSON / BELLAMY (née LEGHORN) [1891-1960]
- Agnes Mary VANTHALL (née GRADY, aka Nan) [1920-1960]
- Herbert John Maurice VANTHALL (aka Van) [1913-1993]
- Theodore Allen ZIEGLER [1934-2020]
- Cecil BOON [1896-1986]
- Alexander Hugh DINNEN [1914-1992]
- Ivan Bernard TREVOR (aka Bernard Ivan Trevor TRIETSCHEL) [1900-1978], escaped from Shamshuipo camp
- Russell Alfred Ernest WATSON [1910-1974]
- Frederick ZIMMERN (aka Fred) [1909-1977]
- Raoul BIGAZZI [c.1888-1962]
- Charles BOND [c.1841-1891], French Canadian
- Thomas CASHMAN [1874-1951], and his son - also Thomas, both policemen
- Helen Fairlie GERRARD (née HENDERSON, aka Nell) [????-????]
- Stephen William HALL (aka Steven / Steve) [c.1922-1941], HKVDC
- Thomas KAVANAGH (aka Tom) [c.1916-????], policeman
- Thomas Andrew MADAR (aka Tommy) [1905-1990]
- Vyvyan Henry Copley MOYLE [1872-1958]
- Alberto Jose OSMUND (aka Mano) [1899-1946]
- George Walter REEVE [1887-1968], a teacher in HK before WW2
- J J RICHARDS [????- ]
- Thomas Richmond ROWELL [1896-1974]
- Robert Stewart (Stuart) STEVENSON [c.1910-1946]
- Paul Hannay SYMONS [1909-1946]
- Tsan Tai TSE (aka James) [????-1938]
- George Bardo TYSON (aka CHAN Kai-Ming) [1859-1919]
This photo of the arch shown above comes from an interesting collection taken in 1948-49.
Click to view the whole album.
Click to see all recently added photos.