New on Gwulo: 2019, week 14
A look at what's been added / updated at Gwulo.com. Please click on the photos or the blue links for more information - and please leave a comment if you can add any new details.
Dates for your diary
Now til 5th May - HK - Steps through time is an exhibition of old Hong Kong photos that I've curated. The exhibition is open to all and free of charge. It is on display in the lobby of The Pottinger Hotel, 74 Queen's Road Central (the entrance is on Stanley Street, next to the junction with Pottinger Street).
18th May - London - Barbara Anslow. If you couldn't get a seat at Barbara's sold-out talk to the Hong Kong Society, there's another chance to hear her speak on the 18th of May. Click for details.
UPDATE - The "New Gwulo talk." that I'd listed for 19th of June might need to be rescheduled. I'll post an update once the date & location are confirmed.
- Colin McEwan's wartime diary makes fascinating reading - he was with the SOE in the fighting in 1941, was one of the members of the group who escaped from Hong Kong by MTB, and then went on to join the BAAG.
- More about trams in the 1900s
- Peter Crush was the owner of the 1932 Austin Seven AG tourer, AP 9057, when it was in Hong Kong. He shares photos & memories of the car.
- Looking for the large army badges that were shown on the mountains in the New Territories.
- How much did it cost for a seven-year-old child to board the Star Ferry in the 1950s?
- Did HMS Hood [sunk by Bismark in 1941] ever visit Hong Kong in the 1930s?
- Raising the tramlines at Causeway Bay
- The first Kowloon Post Office
- Chik Lo, 70 Tai Hang Road [c.1938-c.1961]
- Sea Palace Floating Restaurant, Aberdeen [1958- ]
- 4-storey long terraced building east of No. 2 Police Station on Praya East [????-????]
- United Telegraph Companies' Offices [1898-1948]
- Red Lion Inn [????-c.1966]
- Ming Yuen Gardens [????-????]
- #301-303 Castle Peak Road & Fat Tseung Street, Cheung Sha Wan [????- ]
- Jardine Matheson Single Storey Godown with Residence on Top [c.1860-1952]
- Tack Ching Primary School - Original Site [????- ]
- #55 Yen Chow Street﹐ Shamshuipo [1932- ]
- Tak Sun School [????- ]
- Taikoo Ropeway [1891-1932]
- 26-28 Severn Road
- King George V Memorial Park (Kowloon) [1941- ]
- 102 Waterloo Road [????- ]
- 69G, Robinson Road [????- ]
- Fu House [1952-1989]
- Where was this photo taken?
Looking for information about:
- Beryl Tchong - born in Liverpool in 1944 with family name D'Agastino, adopted by Ying and Rose Tchong who moved to Hong Kong in 1949.
- Richard ROTHWELL [1821-1895] - looking for relatives, especially any Eurasian descendants.
- The Clayson family in Hong Kong. How were these people related, if at all:
- Who was the 'Drake' who was working under Selwyn-Clarke in WW2?
- Looking for Michelle Law from Kowloon, who lived in San Francisco California USA in the early 1980's.
- Alfred Herbert CROOK [1873-1955]
- Charles Aspinell WARNES [1871-????] and son Cyril WARNES [c.1910-????]
- HK Cadets:
- HK Police
- Wartime agent, codename "Molly Wong"
- Stanley Camp internees:
- Harold John ARMSTRONG [1900-1984] and Bridget Ann ARMSTRONG [c.1932- ]
- James Ivor BARNES (aka Jimmy) [c.1904-2008]
- Charles BAYSTING [1899-1968]
- Enid Frances FOY [1942- ]
- George GERRARD [1894-c.1970]
- Ethel Winifred Kate MARGRETT (née THOMPSON, aka Wyn / Winnie) [1899-1991]
- William Francis WEBB (aka Bill) [1903-1985]
Click to see all recently added photos.