1957 Map of Hong Kong & Kowloon
The following map is courtesy of Andrew Suddaby. He picked up this copy in 1957 during his National Service here in Hong Kong.
It shows Hong Kong island's north shore and Kowloon at three different scales:
And includes the following index:
PLACES OF INTEREST
- A. Hongkong & Shanghai Bank Building
- B. American Consulate
- C. American Express
- D. Blake Pier
- E. Botanical Garden
- F. Cable Office
- G. Catholic Club
- H. Cheero Club
- J. Royal H.K. Yacht Club
- K. Mercury House (formerly Electra House)
- L. Gloucester Arcade
- M. Missions To Seamen
- N. First National City Bank
- O. Police Sub-Station
- P. Post Office
- Q. Queen’s Pier
- R. U. S. Navy Purchasing Branch Display Room, China Fleet Club
- S. Tiger Balm Garden
- T. Victoria Barracks
- U. Union Jack Club
Movies have 4 shows daily, not continuous. Usual starting times, 1430-1730-1930-2130 hrs. Buy tickets in advance, especially for evening shows.
- 1. Capitol Theater, Jardine’s Bazaar
- 2. Empire Theater, King’s Road
- 3. Golden City Theater, 78-83 Gloucester Road
- 4. Hoover Theater, Yee Woo Street
- 5. King’s Theater, Queen’s Road, Central
- 6. Lee Theater, Percival Street (Happy Valley)
- 7. Metropole Theater, King’s Road
- 8. New York Theater, Hennessy Rd. & Percival St. Junction
- 9. Oriental Theater, Fleming Rd., Wanchai
- 10. Queen’s Theater, Queen’s Rd., Central
- 11 Roxy Theater, Yee Woo Street, Causeway Bay
- 12. Alhambra Theater, Nathan Road
- 13. Broadway Theater, Nathan Road
- 14. Great World Theater, Laichikok Road
- 15. Liberty Theater, Jordan Road
- 16. Majestic Theater. Nathan Road
- 17. Princess Theater, Nathan Road
- 18. Ritz Theater, Nathan Road
GENERAL INFORMATION AND SHOPPING GUIDE
On the other side of the map is this list of places recommended to visit. I was surprised to see there's not only a section for SEWING MACHINES, but that it has four companies listed! Were they really a popular item for visiting sailors to buy?
If you lived in Hong Kong in the 1950s or 60s, how many of these do you recognise?
ARTISTS, ART SUPPLIES, & PRINTING
- ARTLAND CO., 163 Lockhart Road, (Supplies & Printing)
- DAVID CHENG, 7 Lau Sin Street, near 18, King’s Road
- METROPLE PRESS 52 Lockhart Road (Supplies & Printing)
- WAH CHEONG, 50 Wellington Street (Picture Frames)
- NEW TERRITORIES ISLANDS, LAN-TAO (Silvermine Bay) and CHEUNG CHAU: Swimming and fishing village. Ferry Service four times a day (located on Map)
- REPULSE BAY:
- Seaview: Private rooms, lockers, tents, rented suits, snack bar, and Chinese-European restaurant.
- Lido: Restaurant and swimming accommodations.
- No. 6A or No. 6 bus. Taxi from Fenwick Pier: HK$6.00
- SHEK-O BEACH:
- Good swimming, beautiful bay, tents available, cafe. Shaukiwan streetcar east to end of line, transfer to No. 9 bus. Taxi: HK$14.00 (approximately).
BICYCLES, MOTORCYCLES & SCOOTERS
- *HOP HING CYCLE CO. 34 Johnston Road
- AERO TECHNICAL CORP. LTD. (“Panther”) 1036 Alexandra House
- BRITISH BICYCLE CO., ("B.S.A.”) 8 Hennessy Road
- ETS. DUMAREST D'INDOCHINE (“Vespa”) 65 Queen’s Road, Central
- FAR EAST IMPORT & EXPORT, LTD. (“Francif Barnett”) 127 Hongkong & Shanghai Bank Bldg.
- FING LEE CYCLES LTD. (“Jawa”) 149 Hennessy Road
- PENINSULA MOTOR ACCESSORY & CYCLE CO., 728 Nathan Road, Kln.
- SHUN HING CYCLE CO., LTD. (“Triumph”) 25 Johnston Road
- ASIA BOOK STORE, 27A Queen’s Road, Central
- CATHOLIC CENTRE, King’s Bldg., 9 Connaught Road
- CHALLENGE BOOK SHOP, (Protestant Books and Bibles) Queen’s Bldg., 2nd fl., Ice House St.
- HARRIS BOOK CO., Ice House St.
- KELLY & WALSH LTD., York Building, Chater Road
- PRACTICAL BOOK CO., King’s Theatre Building
- SWINDON BOOK CO., 25 Nathan Road, Kowloon
CAMERAS, PHOTOGRAPHIC SUPPLIES
- *ED. A. KELLER & CO., LTD. 201-203 Edinburgh House
- *WOOD’S PHOTO SUPPLIES, Miramar Arcade, Kowloon
- A.SEK CO., 26A Des Voeux Road C.
- A. WHITE & CO., 12 Peking Road, Kowloon
- ASIA PHOTO SUPPLY, LTD, Ice House Street
- CINEX, Alexandra House, Chater Road
- FILMO DEPOT, Marina House, Queen’s Road, Central
- KODAK CO., 420 Edinburgh House
- LONG HING CO., 7 Ice House Street
- TELE-ART, 7 Ice House Street
- *BRITISH TEXTILES, 8-8A Queen’s Road, C. (upstairs)
- *HARILELA’S, 1-2 Middle Rd., Kowloon
- JAMES S. LEE, 227 Gloucester Road
CHINAWARE - ENGLISH
- FALCONER, GEO. & CO. LTD., Alexandra House, Chater Road
- GRENLEY’S, 1 Alexandra House Arcade, Des Voeux Road, Central
- LANE, CRAWFORD, LTD., Des Voeux Road, Central
- CATHOLIC CENTRE CHAPEL, King’s Building, 1st floor
- Masses: Daily & Sundays 1730
- CATHEDRAL, 16 Caine Road
- Masses: Sundays—Holydays 0700, 0800, 0900, 1000, 1100, 1800
- ST. JOSEPH’S CHURCH, 5 Garden Rd.
- Masses: Sundays—Holydays 0830, 1000, 1100
- ROSARY CHURCH, 125 Chatham Rd.
- Masses: Sundays 0615, 0700, 0800, 0900, 1000, 1100
EPISCOPAL (CHURCH OF ENGLAND)
- ST. JOHN’S CATHEDRAL, Garden Rd.
- Sundays: Holy Communion 0800, 0900, 1215
- Morning Prayer & Sermon: 1100
- Evening Prayer & Fellowship: 1830
- Daily Services: 0730, 1730
- ST. PETER’S CHURCH, Missions to Seamen.
- Sundays: Holy Communion 0800,
- Evening Service: 1900
- Daily Service: 0800
- Wed. 0800: Holy Communion
- ST. ANDREW’S CHURCH, Nathan Rd.
- Sundays: Holy Communion 0800
- Morning Prayer & Sermon: 1100
- Evening Prayer: 1830
OTHER CHURCHES (Hong Kong)
- CHRISTIAN & MISSIONARY ALLIANCE, 14 North Point Road
- Sunday Services: 1000, 1900
- CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS 56-A Leighton Road (6th Floor)
- Sunday Services: 1030, 1930
- ENGLISH METHODIST CHURCH Queen’s Road, East
- Sunday Services: 1100, 1830
- FIRST CHURCH OF CHRIST SCIENTIST, 31 MacDonnell Road
- Sundays: 1115. Wednesdays: 1815
- JEWISH SERVICES: Synagogue “Obel Leah”, 70 Robinson Road,
- Wed. to Sat. 0845
- Wed. & Thurs. 1700
- NORTH POINT LUTHERAN CHURCH 56 King’s Road, Ming Terrace 3rd Floor Apt.
- Sundays: 0945
- THE GOSPEL HALL (Brethren) 12 Queen’s Road East, 1st floor
- Sunday Services: 1100, 2000
- THE SOCIETY OF FRIENDS 1 Lower Albert Road,
- Sunday Worship: 1100
- UNION CHURCH, Kennedy Road
- Sunday Service: 1030
- ASSEMBLY OF GOD, 123 Argyle Street
- Sunday Service: 1930
- BAPTIST CHAPEL, 80 Waterloo Road,
- Sunday Services: 1100, 1930
- EMMANUEL CHURCH, Cox Road
- Sunday Services: 1100, 2000
- THE LUTHERAN CHURCH (MISSOURI SYNOD), 232 Taipo Road
- Sunday Service: 1130
- THE ORTHODOX CHURCH St. Andrew’s Church Hall, Nathan Road,
- Sunday Liturgy: 0800
- UNION CHURCH, 4 Jordan Road
- Sunday Services: 1100, 1900
- Social Hour for Servicemen: 2000
- UNION LUTHERAN CHURCH, 27 Granville Road (2nd Floor)
- Sunday Service: 1100
- CHEERO CLUB, Queen’s & Garden Rds.
- Inexpensive food, billiards, table tennis, library, piano
- CHINA FLEET CLUB, Gloucester Rd.
- Bar, barber shop, gift shop, restaurant
- JEWISH RECREATION CLUB, 70 Robinson Road (after 7 p.m. Wednesday, Saturday & Sunday)
- MASONIC HALL, 1 Kennedy Road
- MISSIONS TO SEAMEN, Gloucester Rd.
- Lounge, snack bar, barber shop, pool, table-tennis
- NAAFI CLUB, Chatham Road, Kowloon
- SAILORS AND SOLDIERS HOME 22 Hennessy Road
- ST. NICHOLAS CATHOLIC CLUB, King’s Bldg., 9 Connaught Road, (near Star Ferry).
- UNION JACK CLUB, Queen’s Rd., East
- CHINA EMPORIUM, LTD.
- 62A-68 Queen’s Road, Central
- Duddell Street, (near First National City Bank)
- LANE, CRAWFORD, LTD.
- Telephone Bldg., Des Voeux Rd., C.
- SHUI HING CO., LTD.
- Shui Hing Bldg. 134-6 Des Voeux Road, Central
- THE SINCERE CO., LTD.
- 173 Des Voeux Rd., Central
- WHITEAWAY, LAIDLAW & CO., LTD.
- Fung House, 18-20 Connaught Rd.,
- Man Yee Bldg., Des Voeux Rd., C.,
- Nathan Rd. at Cameron (Kowloon)
- WING ON CO., LTD.
- 213 Des Voeux Road, Central
- 26 Des Voeux Road, Central
FLOWERS BY CABLE
- AMERICAN EXPRESS CO., INC., York Building, Chater Road
- BLOOMFIELD’S, Princess Theatre Bldg., Nathan Road, Kowloon
- CLOVER FLOWER SHOP, Gloucester Arcade, Des Voeux Road, Central
- *GEORGE ZEE & CO.,
- 122, Nathan Road, Kowloon
- CHINA PRODUCE & TRADING CO.,
- 45 Peking Road, Kowloon
- J. L. GEORGE,
- Peninsula_Hotel and
- 3 Cameron Road, Kowloon
- S. Y. MA,
- 33A Hankow Road, Kowloon
- WE ON & CO.,
- 8 & 16 Queen’s Road, East
- 10 Canton Road, Kowloon
- *BANGKOK JEWELS, 2 Pak Sha Road
- (Bangkok silverware & bronze tableware)
- *BONNIE’S, 75-77 Kimberley Rd., Kowloon
- (Ladies’ handbags & gift items)
- *DYNASTY SALON, 1st Floor, Peninsula Hotel, Kowloon
- (Chinese style wearing apparel in American sizes. Crib covers, children’s pajamas, etc.)
- BANARAS, Miramar Hotel, Suite 229, Kowloon,
- (Gifts of Indian origin, Thai silks, jewelry, bronzeware)
- CATHAY GIFT SHOP, Princes Building, opp. Statue Square
- HONGKONG MANUFACTURERS AGENCY, 13 Hanoi Road, Kowloon.
- (Dolls, children’s wear, brocades, souvenirs, etc.)
- MICHAEL LEE, 1 Bowring Street, Kowloon
- PARISETTE, 211 Hong Kong Hotel Bldg,
- (Gifts of French origin)
- WELFARE HANDICRAFTS, Salisbury Road, (next door to fire station) Kowloon.
- (Blouses, children’s clothing, dolls, rattan ware)
- YEE CHEONG & CO., 69 Granville Road, Kowloon,
- (Children’s wear)
Consult Hostess at Pier on reservations
- CHINA FLEET CLUB Gloucester Road, Tel. 74013
- MISSIONS TO SEAMEN, 40 Gloucester Road Tel. 74221
- REPULSE BAY HOTEL, Repulse Bay, Tel. 92211
- SUNNING HOUSE, Hysan Ave., Causeway Bay. Tel. 73301
- WINNER HOUSE, 310 King’s Road, Tel. 70301
- AUSTIN HOTEL, 140 Austin Road, Tel: 63767
- FOURSEAS HOTEL, 75 Waterloo Road, Tel. 52071
- GRAND HOTEL, 14 Carnarvon Road, Tel. 61221
- GOLDEN GATE HOTEL, Austin Road, Tel. 61341
- INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, 33 Cameron Road, Tel. 61336
- KIMBERLEY HOTEL, 33 Kimberley Road, Tel. 60316
- MELBOURNE HOTEL, Mody Road, Tel. 61356
- MIRAMAR HOTEL, 21-23 Kimberley Road, Tel. 61261
- PALM COURT HOTEL, Cameron Road, Tel. 60246
- PENINSULA HOTEL, Salisbury Road, Tel. 60251
- PRINCE HOTEL, 377a-B, Prince Edward Road, Tel. 50850
- Y.M.C.A., Salisbury Road, Tel. 60221
- *HANG ON IVORY FACTORY, 39A Queen’s Road, Central
- KUANG WENG, 1 Lock Road, Kowloon
- KWONG ON IVORY, 1C D’Aguilar Street, 1st floor
- LIEN E IVORY, 4 Hanoi Rd., Kowloon 8 Ashley Road, Kowloon.
- MAN HING IVORY FACTORY, 215 Queen’s Road, Central
- SHING ON IVORY FACTORY, 56 Stanley Street
- TACK CHEUNG, 11 Wyndham Street
LAUNDRY AND DRY CLEANING
- *JIMMIE & CO., 205-07 Lockhart Road
- EAST ASIA STEAM LAUNDRY, 523-25 Hennessy Road,
- *KAM LUNG, 96 Gloucester Road & 55 Hankow Rd., Kowloon
- CHING CHING TONG, 100 Queen’s Road, Central
- CHUN WAH, 41D Peking Rd., Kowloon
- GENUINE LEATHER GOODS, 170 Queen’s Road, Central
- GREAT WALL, 54 Des Voeux Road, Central
- *GEORGE B. TAN EMBROIDERY CO. 228 Gloucester Road
- *GEORGE SIM MFG., CO., 35 Carnarvon Road, Kowloon
- OIDAR & CO., 17 Cameron Rd., Kowloon
- *FENWICK OF HONG KONG LTD. 210 H.K. Hotel Building
- KEENSEN & CO. 29B Queen’s Road, Central
- MACKINTOSH’S LTD. Alexandra House, Des Voeux Road, Central
- MEE YEE (shirt maker), 1-E Stanley Street
- NEW DRAGON CO., LTD. 67B Des Voeux Road, C.
- WHITEAWAY, LAIDLAW & CO.. LTD. (Men’s Store) 11 Chater Road
MUSIC STORES & HI-FI
- *THE RADIO PEOPLE LTD., (HI-FI), 31 Nathan Road, Kowloon
- CHEONG MING & CO.(HI-FI CENTER), 420-21 Union Bldg., Pedder Street, opp. General Post office
- D. ESSES (European Records), Alexandra House
- DIAMOND MUSIC STORES, 1 Theatre Lane, next Queen’s Theatre;
- THE LINEN CHEST, LTD. 3 Chater Road
- MOUTRIE & CO., (H.K.) LTD. York Bldg., Chater Road
- RADIO FAR EAST SERVICE, Gloucester Arcade, Des Voeux Road, Central
- SCIENTIFIC SERVICE CO. Alexandra House (ask for servicemen’s special discount)
- SUN RADIO & ELECTRIC CO. 24A Johnston Road
- TSANG FOOK, (HI-FI) Marina House, Queen’s Road, Central
- CHINESE OPTICAL CO., 214 Des Voeux Road, Central
- HONG KONG OPTICAL CO., 57 Queen’s Road, Central
- *KOWLOON RATTAN WARE CO., 4 Hankow Road, Kowloon
- *NAN KANG CO., Union Building, 3rd Floor, Pedder Street (Furniture only)
- FOOKLOON, 296A-298 Hennessy Road
Tipping—10-15% in States
- AMERICAN-EUROPEAN COOKING (Hong Kong)
- CAFE DE PARIS, Great China House, 8 8A Queen’s Road Central
- CONDER’S, 22A Queen’s Road, Central
- DAIRY FARM, Windsor House, Des Voeux Road, Central
- DIAMOND HORSESHOE, 8 Luard Rd.
- FLYING ANGEL GROTTO, Missions to Seamen
- GLOUCESTER LOUNGE. Gloucester Building, Pedder Street
- JIMMY’S KITCHEN, Theatre Lane
- LIDO, Repulse Bay
- PARISIAN GRILL, 10 Queen’s Rd., C.
- REPULSE BAY HOTEL, Repulse Bay
- SAVOY LOUNGE, Queen’s Theatre, Queen’s Road, Central
- BOMBAY ORIENTAL RESTAURANT (Indian Food & Curry), 19 Prat Ave.
- CHANTECLER RESTAURANT, 172-176 Nathan Road
- DAIRY FARM, 22 Carnarvon Road
- GINGLES ANNEX, 70 Nathan Road
- PALM COURT, Cameron Road
- PENINSULA HOTEL, Salisbury Road
- RIKKI’S RESTAURANT, 41-42 Carnarvon Road
- TKACHENKO RESTAURANT, 3 Hankow Road
- HOOVER RESTAURANT, Hoover House, Yee Woo Street
- TAI TUNG, 234 Des Voeux Road, C.
- *ETS. DUMAREST D'INDOCHINE (Elna), 65 Queens Road. C.
- *L. FARDEL CO., (Neechi), 27 Morrison Hill Road
- *SINGER SEWING MACHINE CO., St. George’s Building and 59A Queen’s Road, C,
- *T. M. WONG & CO., LTD. (Pfaff) 35 Hennesy Road
- *KOW HOO SHOE CO., 19-21 Hennessy Road
- DEPARTMENT STORES
- K. JAMSON & CO., 30 Hennessy Road
- MACKINTOSH’S LTD. Alexandra House, Des Voeux Rd., C.
SILK GARMENTS AND PIECE GOODS
- *DYNASTY SALON, 1st Floor, Peninsula Hotel, Kowloon
- OIDAR & CO., 17 Cameron Road, Kowloon
- YING TAI CO., 27 Chungking Arcade, Kowloon
- *SINO BRITISH (H.K.) LTD. 8th Floor Edinburgh House
- AHLUWALIA & SONS, 1 Middle Road, (off Hankow Road) Kowloon.
- CHINA EMPORIUM, LTD. 62A-68 Queen’s Road, Central
- H.K. SPORTS SHOP, Gloucester Arcade, Hong Kong
- LEE’S ATHLETIC SUPPLY CO., China Building, Room 610 29C Queen’s Road, Central
- CHINA FLEET CLUB, Gloucester Road
- MISSIONS TO SEAMEN, Gloucester Rd.
- Billiards, boxing, gym. equipment & showers, table-tennis
- SERVICEMEN’S GUIDES,
- Cricket, football, golf, horse racing (during season), softball, swimming, tennis, track, yachting.
- VICTORIA BARRACKS Queen’s Road, East (located on Map)
- Swimming (fresh water pool), HK 50 cents.
STATIONERY AND GREETING CARDS
(See Dept. Stores)
- CHE SAN & CO., 56-8 Des Voeux Road, C.
- SKINNER LTD., 23 Pedder Street
- SWINDON BOOK CO., 25 Nathan Road, Kowloon
TAILORS - LADIES'
Suits are not a good buy unless purchaser has exact dimensions & pattern. All silk garments and silk piece goods require comprehensive certificates of origin.
- BOMBAY SILK STORE, 2 D’Aguilar Street,
- FRANK L. CHAN, Hotel Miramar Annex, Kowloon
- LAI WAH, 41 Hankow Road, Kowloon
- LONG KEE, 31D Peking Road, Kowloon
- MAYAI & CO., 120 Nathan Road, Kowloon
Pay in full only when your suit is delivered. If possible, avoid making arrangements for clothes to be sent to you later. If this is necessary, consult Servicemen's Guides.
- *BRITISH TEXTILES, 8-8A Queen’s Road, C. (Upstairs)
- *FENWICK OF HONG KONG LTD. 210 H. K. Hotel Building
- JOHNSON CO., 337 King’s Road and 63 Gloucester Road
- LEE CHONG TAI & SUNG KEE, 49 Johnston Road
- *MAIWO, YANG & CO., 8-8A Queen’s Road, Central
- *TUNG SUN & CO., 48 Queen’s Road, Central
- *WILLIAM McGEE, 51 Gloucester Road
- A-MAN HING CHEONG, 54 Queen’s Road, Central
- CHAN TUCK, Alexandra House, Des Voeux Road, Central
- FLYING ANGEL TAILOR SHOP, Missions to Seamen, 40 Gloucester Road
- KAWA TAILOR, 79 Queen’s Road, Central
- MAN CHEONG, Gloucester Arcade, Des Voeux Road, Central
- TAILOR CHEUNG, Queen’s Theatre (side entrance)
- TAJMAHAL, King’s Theatre Building, Queen’s Road, Central
- FOOK LONG CO., Champagne Court 422 Kimberley Road
- HALLMARK TAILORING CO., 37 Cameron Road
- HARILELA’S EMPORIUM, 1-2 Middle Road
- JIMMY CHEN, 12A Cameron Road
- JOHN YUE, 44 Kimberley Road
- LAMPSAN TAILOR, 35 Nathan Road
- Y. WILLIAM YU, Hotel Miramar Annex, Kowloon
TOBACCO AND PIPES
- *GRAECO - EGYPTIAN TOBACCO STORE, 4 Pedder Street INGENOHL LTD. Gloucester Arcade, Des Voeux Road, Central
(See Dept. Stores and listings under GIFTS)
WATCHES, JEWELRY AND JADE
- *ARTLAND, 28 Des Voeux Road, Central (Watches)
- *FALCONER GEO. & CO., LTD. (Pearl Jewelry) Alexandra House, Chater Road
- *LANE, CRAWFORD, LTD. Telephone Bldg., Des Voeux Road, Central
- *TAJMAHAL GEMS, LTD. 25B-C Mody Road, Kowloon
- BUDSON CO., 104 Queen’s Rd. (Watches)
- FOO HANG (Diamonds), King’s Theatre Building, 7th Floor
- SENNET FRERES, 5 Pedder Street
- SWISS WATCH SERVICE, 33 Alexandra House, Mezzanine Fl. (Watches and watch repair)
- WAI KEE (Jewelry), H.K. Hotel Bldg., Pedder Street
JADE & SEMI-PRECIOUS STONES Consult Information Center, Servicemen’s Guides
* - VISIT NAVY PURCHASING BRANCH FOR REDUCED PRICES
NAVY PURCHASING BRANCH
THE U.S. NAVY PURCHASING BRANCH DISPLAY ROOM is located in the China Fleet Club, Arsenal Street, across from Fenwick Pier. This is an official Navy Office set up to handle all official purchasing which the Navy does in Hong Kong, as well as to aid individual Servicemen with their personal shopping. For this purpose, a display room is maintained which contains approximately 1300 items which can be purchased at greatly reduced prices. In order to take advantage of this, it is necessary to secure a Cash Purchase Form, which is presented to the appropriate merchant, and entitles you to the Navy Contract Price. This service is available to all military personnel and their dependents who carry proper identification. We therefore urge you to VISIT THE NAVY PURCHASING BRANCH BEFORE DOING ANY SHOPPING ON YOUR OWN.
Shops listed in this folder with a star (*) hold Navy Purchasing Contracts.
The following shopping list is by no means complete, but we suggest the firms listed here on the basis of impartial investigations made by Servicemen’s Guides, No shop pays to be listed in this folder.
Servicemen’s Guides is in no way responsible for the firms listed here, but if you have any complaints, please tell us. We have complaint forms available for you to fill out at the Pier.
The map has several other notes:
WARNING - DO NOT CARRY YOUR MONEY IN YOUR JUMPER POCKETS!
Do not entrust your money to others to change.
Do not let your wallet show.
Remember Hong Kong Voltage is 220. Check the capacity of your electric razor.
A WORD ABOUT STREET GUIDES
Street Guides (whether in uniform or not) will try to pick you up. These fellows are, for the most part, mem hers of gangs who lead you to places where you may be cheated. If they annoy you, call a policeman. Remember: they are not SERVICEMEN'S GUIDES. Servicemen's Guides is staffed by American women volunteer workers who stay at the Fenwick Pier information booth.
Servicemen’s Guides will be glad to arrange taxi tours around the island, with stopovers up to 2 hours, Price: from about HK$20.00 to HK$36.00 per cab (carrying 4 passengers).
A WORD ABOUT HONG KONG
Hong Kong has been a British Crown Colony since 1841 when it was ceded by China to Great Britain. It is situated at the mouth of the Pearl River about 22 miles from the border of China. The Colony includes the island of Hong Kong (approximately 32 square miles) plus Kowloon and the New Territories which are geographically part of the China mainland. Kowloon was ceded by China in 1860. The New Territories were leased to Great Britain for 99 years in 1898. The population of the Colony is about 3,000,000.
Hong Kong has a sub-tropical climate, governed to a great extent by the monsoons. The winter is normally cool and the summer hot and humid.
This Center was founded and built and is being operated with funds contributed by the following organizations:
- Commission on World Service, Evangelical and Reformed Church
- Cooperative Committee for Ministry to American Service Personnel in the Far East
- Lutheran Service Commission
- National Catholic Community Service
- National Council of the Protestant Episcopal Church, U.S.A.
- National Jewish Welfare Board
- Presbyterian Board of Foreign Missions
- Hong Kong-Macao Baptist Mission
We wish to express our appreciation for their assistance.
There are two civilian chaplains, duly assigned by their respective churches for work among U.S. Service personnel, on duty at Fenwick Pier each day from 0900 to 2400. Feel free to call on them at any time.
- Catholic Chaplain: The Rev. George N. Gilligan, M.M.
- Protestant Chaplain: The Rev. Canon Donald C. Means.
- AMERICAN CONSULATE Garden Road. Tel. 38026
- ARMY LIAISON Garden Road. Tel. 38026
- NAVAL ATTACHE, Garden Road Tel. 38026 or 25253
- AIR LIAISON, Garden Road Tel. 38026 or 25946, Ext. 247
- U.S. NAVAL PURCHASING BRANCH Arsenal Street, Tel. 23767
POLICE AND SHORE PATROL
- Hong Kong Police Tel. 34522
- Kowloon Police Tel. 58121
- Police Emergency Call Dial 999
- Shore Patrol Tel. 22663
All police ((text unclear)) have numbers on their shoulder straps. A number with a red background signifies an English-speaking policeman. Most Chinese policemen understand and speak a little English. The police will give you protection. Call them when in need. Never obstruct the police in the performance of their duty.
Hongkong is a free money market.
All kinds of currency may be bought and sold at the market rate. Approximate equivalents of HK dollars in relation to US dollars are as follows:
- HK 1.00—US 16 cents
- HK 5.00—US 80 cents
- HK 10.00—US $ 1.60
- HK 100.00—US $ 16.00
Change your foreign currency into Hong Kong dollars and always deal in local currency. In fact INSIST on Hong Kong prices. YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR HK MONEY BACK INTO US CURRENCY BEFORE LEAVING HONG KONG.
Change your money only at a licensed money changer. For your convenience, there is one at SERVICEMEN’S GUIDES at the pier where you land, the Missions to Seamen or in the downtown area on Pedder Street.
Exchange rates are quoted for US$5, $10 and upwards. US$1 notes and coins are accepted at discount. Pennies cannot be changed.
CHECKS: Consult Information Center, Servicemen’s Guides.
POSTAL MONEY ORDERS: Bought in U.S. can be cashed at money changers at Servicemen’s Guides. Bought on board ship can be cashed only on shipboard or Stateside.
U. S. WAR BONDS or SAVINGS BONDS: Cannot be cashed.
M.P.O.: Cashed at Liaison or Attache.
M.P.C.: Changeable aboard ship only
CABLING for money: Takes at least 2-3 days. Before trying it, check with SERVICEMEN’S GUIDES.
POSTAL RATES TO U.S.
- Air Mail Forms: HK 50 cents
- Air Mail Post Card: HK$1.00
- Air Mail Letter (1/2 oz.): HK$2.00
- Sea Mail Post Card: HK 25 cents
- Sea Mail Letter: HK 40 cents
TELEPHONE CALLS AND CABLES
CALLS may be made to any part of the U.S. Check at Pier for hours during which calls may be placed. Rate : HK$48 for first 3 min., HK$16 each extra minute. Go to:
- MERCURY HOUSE (formerly Electra House).
- TELEPHONE HOUSE Des Voeux Road, Central
CABLE RATES to U.S.: HK$1.25 per word Letter rate (delayed cable) HK$13.75 for 22 words; 62 1/2 cents each additional word.
- CABLE AND WIRELESS, 17 Hennessy Road (see map) or
- Mercury House; or
- opp. Post Office
U.S. Treasury Department regulations prohibit the importation into the U.S. of any merchandise originating in China or North Korea.
THE FOLLOWING CHINESE-TYPE PRODUCTS CANNOT BE BROUGHT INTO THE UNITED STATES:
1. Chinese rugs
2. Carved jade and rose quartz
3. Chinese porcelain
5. Curios and antiques
THE FOLLOWING CHINESE-TYPE PRODUCTS MAY BE BROUGHT INTO THE UNITED STATES ONLY IF A COMPREHENSIVE CERTIFICATE OF ORIGIN IS OBTAINED TO PROVE THEY WERE MADE IN HONGKONG
1. Hardwood manufacture (including furniture)
3. Jade jewelry and unset jade stones
4. Silk piece goods and silk garments
5. Linen and cotton embroidered articles (including handkerchiefs, blouses, table - cloths and all “Swatow” work)
These certificates are legal forms issued by the Hong Kong Government and may be obtained through the approved shops for a charge of HK$ 5.00. A notation on a receipted bill is not sufficient. A period of 24 hours is required for the issuance of a Certificate of Origin.
Most of the shops listed on this folder which sell Chinese type merchandise are certified to issue a comprehensive certificate of origin. However, it is advisable to check before making any purchases.
There is no prohibition against bringing into the U S. such articles as cameras, cosmetics, leather goods, rattan ware, watches, woolen goods or cashmere garments provided such goods have not been manufactured in Communist China or North Korea.
Printed By :
52 Lockhart Road Tel. 76190
Thanks to Andrew for sharing this map with us.
If you enjoyed this, I also recommend Andrew's collection of photos, taken in Hong Kong during 1957-58.