New on Gwulo: 2019, week 23
A look at what's been added / updated at Gwulo.com. Please click on the photos or the blue links for more information - and please leave a comment if you can add any new details.
Dates for your diary
20th June - HK - Gwulo talk #1. I'll present the first talk to members of the Royal Geographical Society (RGS), but non-members are also very welcome to attend. We'll use the JC Cube theatre at Tai Kwun, so I'm looking forward to that as I haven't presented there before.
- Hats off to Andrew Suddaby, who has just finished the mammoth task of uploading over 1,300 photos of old Hong Kong to the Gwulo website from the archives of the 367 Association. More about that in next week's newsletter.
- A new wartime diary is starting to appear on Gwulo, the diary of W J Carrie, a senior government official. Thanks to his grandson, David Batchelor, for sharing the diary with us and for scanning the pages and proof-reading the transcriptions. A big thank you to Barbara Anslow for transcribing the scanned pages, which she says she finds "riveting".
- Gwulo has been on the radio - Annemarie Evans invited me on to her Hong Kong Heritage show for a Gwulo Gubbins episode.
- Thanks to everyone who came along to Saturday's talk, we had a full house, with every seat filled.
- The introduction of First Class rickshaws in 1907.
- A set of photos of Sea Cadets has been uploaded. Can anyone add comments to explain the scenes?
- Memories of Gilman & Co.
- Thanks to tkjho for transcribing & posting the Jurors Lists for 1879 & 1880
- More rat bins!
- Historic Hong Kong bottles
- First landing at the new Sek Kong runway?
- The final word on the Governor's hat and its feathers
- The Holland-China Trading Company [1903- ]
- During World War II, were there any Minstrel Shows in the HK POW / internment camps?
- 2 Tramway Path [1953- ]
- Castle Peak police stations
- Possible source of the name Chick in "Chick's Bridge".
- Ching Yuen Garden - updated info
- Hilton Hotel - remembering its pies, and asking if there was a large tiled blue flower on one of the interior walls?
- Hong Kong Bowling Alleys - Wanchai [1938-1945]
- Kennedy Road Station, Peak Tram [????- ]
- Kowloon Union Church Manse [????- ]
- London Cafe [????-????]
- ML 430 [1930- ] and ML 431 [1930- ], two big reclamations off the North Point shoreline
- Pat Heung Police Station [1952- ]
- Pinewood Battery - when it became a Scout Camp
- Shan Tsui Battery [1945- ] - Tymon documents this set of pillboxes built by the Japanese in WW2, on a hillside overlooking Sha Tau Kok
- Tsuen Wan police station (previous generation) [????-????]
- Waltzing Matilda Inn [????-????] - which year did it open?
- Chun Yeung Street, North Point [????- ]
- Charles Douglas ARMSTRONG (aka Wix / Nipper) [1897-1985], recipient of the Military Cross
- Dorothy Muriel ARMSTRONG (née HOLYOAK) [c.1905-????], one of twins?
- Frederick Charles CLEMO [1897-????]
- Frederick James Duncan CLEMO (aka Freddie) [????-1999]
- Thomas James Johnston FENWICK [1895-1985], escaped from Hong Kong in 1942
- Edward Francis GINGLE (aka Gingles / Jingles) [c.1893-1960]. Brian has investigated his background.
- Charles Kennett, who claimed to have been the first person to fly from the Philippines to China, but who is shown to have told many tall stories
- Willem KIEN [1877-1970]
- Djoen-Eng KWIK (aka KWOK Chun-Yeung / 郭春映 / The Java Sugar King) [1895-1935], one of Asia's wealthiest men for a time
- Robert MORRISON [1782-1834], early Protestant missionary in China
- Lai Chuen J.P. TONG [c.1860-c.1940], compradore to the Holland-China Trading Company
- Charles WHITLEY [????-????]
- Stanley Camp internees:
- Edward AITKEN (aka Eddie) [c.1931- ]
- Henriette C E AITKEN [c.1900-????]
- William Herbert ALTON [1907-1995]
- Margaret Louisa DAVIES (née WHITLEY) [c.1907-1945]
- Alice DOBBS [1908-????]
- Robert HOGARTH (aka Bert) [1914-1987]
- Charles Frederick HYDE (aka Ginger) [1900-1943]
- Florence Eileen HYDE (née BURGESS) [1904-1944]
- Arthur Robert Fenton RAVEN [c.1878-1956]
- Alaric Pearson ROSE [1909-1985]
- Mary Beatrice ROSE (née WANSEY) [1909-1991]
- Donald Oscar RUSSELL [????-????]
- Walter Burns SCRAGG (aka Wally) [1921-2018]
- Ernest James STEVENS [1905-1972]
- Mary Anna STEVENS [1910-????]
- Winifred Lilian STEVENS [c.1941- ]
- Doris Jane WATSON (née SCOURSE) [1910-2009]
- William WATSON [c.1916-????]
- George Pegden WHITLEY [1907-????]
- Norman Beardmore McQueen WHITLEY [1914-2004]
- Jeannie WOODHEAD (née SMITH) [1907-????]
Click to see all recently added photos.