2019-05 RTHK's Hong Kong Heritage - Gwulo Gubbins
Annemarie Evans invited me on to her radio show, Hong Kong Heritage, for a chat about what she's christened "Gwulo Gubbins". It sounds like someone from The Hobbit, but instead we chatted about some of the new photos in my latest talk, visiting the UK's National Archives, and other odds and ends - ie the gubbins.
Here is the link to listen to the show:
And below I'll include links to more information about the topics we discussed, with the time as it is shown on the podcast player.
Thanks to Annemarie for inviting me on to her show. She covers all sorts of topics related to Hong Kong's heritage, so you'll find plenty of other episodes worth listening to in the online catalogue at : https://podcast.rthk.hk/podcast/item.php?pid=164
More information about the gubbins we discussed:
- 01:22 Sport. I didn't end up using any sporting photos in the talk - they'll have to wait for a future talk. You can find sporting photos on the website though, eg photos taken at the Football Club, or the Government Stadium.
- 02:35 Moustache-o-meter. I'll be patenting this! Here are two good examples.
- 02:55 Pokfulam: Water Works housing, and Police Station
- 03:13 Gateball: Hong Kong, China Gateball Association
- 04:05 Engravings: Engravings of Hong Kong
- 05:05 Police: Photos of policemen in Hong Kong
- 07:00 Stocks: Photos of portable stocks
- 08:02 Sikh temple: Sikh Temple - Happy Valley (1st generation) [1902-1933] (I made a mistake in the recording - it was the 2nd generation building that was destroyed in WW2.)
- 09:40 "photoshopping": There's an example about half way down this page, look for the photo titled "c.1875 - Two western men, by Lai Afong".
- 10:20 Dave Willott: "snake catcher extraordinaire"
- 12:00 UK National Archives: Some notes and photos from a recent visit, and tips for how to plan your own visit. The naturalisation of Serge PEACOCK (aka Sergei Piankoff), and Raoul Bigazzi
- 18:40 Stanley Camp Nominal Roll: We don't have the nominal roll transcribed yet, but we've already listed over 1600 of the internees at Stanley Camp.
- 19:50 Barbara Anslow's book: Tin Hats and Rice
- 20:10 Kai Tak: Gwulo has lots of photos of Kai Tak !
- 21:00 Other gubbins: