Mount Davis Battery [c.1912- ]
Year completed is: Approximate
Condition at last visit: Ruins
Date of last visit: April 2015
Ref: ROB - 00132
Other: See previous notes below Timeline.
- 1907: Date of construction is unknown. The Bty first appears on Armament Tables as "Additions", with 5 x 9.2" BL Mk X guns. (CAB 11/57).
- 1909: 5 x 9.2" BL guns approved, not yet mounted. (CAB 11/57).
- 1910: 5 x 9.2" guns approved, not yet mounted. (CAB 11/57).
- 1911: 4 x 9.2" BL guns mounted, 1 x 9.2" gun to be added. (CAB 11/58).
- 1915: A series of 5 x 9.2" guns, placed irregularly near the top of a detatched hill at the west end of the Island. (WO 32/5316).
- 1917: 5 x 9.2" BL guns. (CAB 11/58).
- 1921: 5 x 9.2" BL guns. (CAB 11/58).
- 1936: 2 x 9.2" guns moved to the new Bty at Stanley. (WO 106/2418).
- 1936: 3 x 9.2" BL guns. (CAB 11/196).
- 1941: 3 x 9.2" BL guns. (WO 106/2379).
- 1941: In action in December against land targets. Damaged by bombing and shelling. Destroyed by own crews at the surrender 25th December. (WO 172/1687).
- 1945: No guns remained. Majority of operational buildings destroyed or damaged. (WO 196/10). Post war the site was used for a variety of military formations e.g. RAF Radar site, but was abandoned in the 1970's.
- 1981: A Youth Hostel was established on part of the site.
- 2015: Gun pits and some buildings remain, mostly ruins.
For a background to these notes, and a glossary of terms used, please see: http://gwulo.com/node/24630
Previous notes from David:
Denis Rollo's "The Guns & Gunners of Hong Kong" notes this was built to hold "5 x 9.2-inch BL Mark X guns".
It was completed in 1912, and though the gun emplacements can still be seen today, it's useful life as a British battery ended in 1941. The battery was damaged during the fighting with the Japanese, then blown up by its personnel on 25 Dec, just before the surrender.
I'm not sure if the site was used by the Japanese during their occupation of Hong Kong, but Rollo mentions a 1946 report saying there was no equipment remaining, and that the buildings had been destroyed.
Post-war, RAF Mount Davis occupied part of the site.