New on Gwulo: 2019, week 06
A look at what's been added / updated at Gwulo.com. Please click on the photos or the blue links for more information - and please leave a comment if you can add any new details.
Click to see all recently added photos.
Looking for information about:
- Lloyd KAY [c.1881-1929], full name George Albert Lloyd KAY, wharfinger at Kowloon Docks. Also hoping to learn what the "Bowling Greens Golf" was.
- Dorothy Elizabeth DARKIN (née DAVIES) [1931-1972], and / or husband Rick, sons Angus and Rodney.
- Natasha would like to hear any information about the location & people in these photos. They were taken in the 1960s and show a group of Russian refugees from Xinjiang in China, that included her mother and several family members. They were in Hong Kong for some time before moving to their new countries to live. Click the photos to see Natasha's notes, and to leave any comments you can add.
- Andrew SALMON (aka Jack) [1919-2000], Royal Artillery then POW in HK & Japan. Worked in HK's Prisons Department, 1949-1974.
- Do you recognise this man?
- Stanley Camp internees
- Annelise has uploaded a copy of The School Register for the Diocesan Boys School (DBS), listing names of male students from 1870 to December 1929
- People associated with the British Army Aid Group (BAAG)
- Lilian Constance Seale MARTIN (née ROBERTSON) [c.1901-1941]
- Arrigo FOA [c.1900-1981], musician, conductor, and teacher
- Stanley Camp internees:
- Memories of Poplar St. / Cheung Sha Wan Rd in the '60s
- Liz is creating a list of the pages we've got for past & present industrial sites around Hong Kong. Please add a comment there if you can add any more.
- Photos of the old 3-storey terraced buildings on Nathan Road, north and south of Humphreys Avenue, home to Dairy Farm, Gingles, etc.
- Lindy's Restaurant and Delicatessen [????-????]
- "The Astra" cinema, RAF Little Sai Wan [????-????]
- Sham Shui Po Public Dispensary (深水埗醫局) [1936- ]
- Derek & Mikael are updating several of Rob's military sites with photos from recent visits: Pillboxes 022 / 030 / 205 / 206 / 207, Lyon Lights 022 / 030
- Old Chinese Houses on Peking Road [c.1900-c.1972]
- Whitfield junior school, Kowloon [????-????]
- Monument at Lam Tei Irrigation Reservoir [1957- ]
- Former South China Morning Post Building [1925-c.1971]
- Where was this temple?
- Where was this photo taken? (Click the photo to see the discussion so far.)
- Howard Elias is running another of his popular tours of the Jewish Cemetery in Happy Valley on Sunday, 17th March. Click for details and booking.
- Steve is adding to his list of records of the WW2 Air Raids over Hong Kong & South China
- The history behind the old field gun on display at the Police Museum.
- If you were in school in Hong Kong in 1964, did you submit any artworks to this exhibition?
- Moddsey has been adding more from his collection of matchboxes from the 1960s and 70s. There's a sample below, then check the full collection to see how many of the bars and restaurants you remember.