New on Gwulo: 2019, week 18
A look at what's been added / updated at Gwulo.com. Please click on the photos or the blue links for more information - and please leave a comment if you can add any new details.
Dates for your diary
Last week, finishes on 5th May - HK - Steps through time is an exhibition of old Hong Kong photos that I've curated. The exhibition is open to all and free of charge. It is on display in the lobby of The Pottinger Hotel, 74 Queen's Road Central (the entrance is on Stanley Street, next to the junction with Pottinger Street).8th May - HK - Gwulo lunchtime meetup, all welcome. Click for details.
18th May - London - Barbara Anslow. If you couldn't get a seat at Barbara's sold-out talk to the Hong Kong Society, there's another chance to hear her speak on the 18th of May. Click for details.
1st June - HK - New Gwulo talk. I'll present the new Talk #5 for the first time at the Visual Arts Centre on Kennedy Road. It's on a Saturday morning for a change. Click for details.
- If you learned piano with Mrs Nozadze, is your name on this programme from 1950?
- What's known about the 1939/1940 Internment of German Residents?
- ??? School / Bayanihan Kennedy Town Centre [????- ]
- Army married quarters, 287 Prince Edward Road Kowloon [????-????]
- Blarney Stone [????-????]
- Castle Peak Bay [????-????]
- Castle Peak Hotel [1949-????]
- Chan Gardens, Argyle Street [????-????]
- Clover Hotel, 380 Nathan Road [c.1957-c.1987]
- Club Subway [????-????]
- Craigieburn - RBL 5 & 17 - Later a hotel [c.1885-c.1935]
- Haiphong Road Temporary Market [1978- ] - not so temporary! (See the one at Woosung Street too.)
- Hillcrest [1937-????]
- Jardine's Corner [Bridge] - 觀龍角 [????- ]
- Lai Chi Kok Amusement Park [1947-1997]
- Lai Chi Kok pier [????-????], part of the Lai Chi Kok Torpedo Range before WW2
- Lai Chi Kok swimming pavilions [????-????]
- Man Kam To, NT: former entrance to the Frontier Closed Area, and the old border crossing
- Metropole Restaurant, North Point [????-c.1964], followed by the Metropole Building, North Point [1967- ]
- Nga Yiu lookout [????- ]
- Parkview Mansion, 70 Tai Hang Road [1962-1983]
- Pioneer Memorial Church of Seventh-day Adventists [1939- ]
- Realty Building / Wing On House, Central [1967- ]
- San Hui Castle Peak Road [????- ]
- Statue Square, Central [????- ]
- Telegraph Bay beach [????-????]
- Two-storey residential building in front of the RAF Officers Mess [????-????]
- Victoria / Hong Kong / St. George's / Kowloon Riding School [????-????]
- 1 Wang Fung Terrace [c.1933-c.1953]
- Markus ABLONG [????-????]
- John Hubert BOTTOMLEY (aka Jack) [1899-1964]
- George Thomas BRAINE [1807-1888]
- Edward Frederick CLAYSON [c.1884-1941]
- Paul Erik DUTOIT [1913-1964]
- Nora Margaret FERREIRA (née ABLONG) [1922-1990]
- Hector Bertram GRAY (aka Dolly) [1911-1943]
- John Crichton MCDOUALL [1912-1979]
- William WINCH [c.1848-c.1915], and son George Stephen WINCH [1912-1974]
- HK Police
- Stanley Camp internees:
Click to see all recently added photos.