New on Gwulo: 2019, week 01
I've just learned that, according to the ISO standard, the first week of the year is the week that has the year's first Thursday. So despite the title above, it's still the 31st of December, and I'm writing our last roundup of what's new for 2018.
I hope you've enjoyed reading all the contributions to Gwulo over the last year, and wish you all the best for the new year ahead,
(If you're researching family history in Hong Kong, some excellent news is that cards in the Carl Smith Collection can now be viewed online. Thanks to Patricia for letting us know.)
Looking for information about:
- Stanley Camp internees:
- How was Georginio Julio FERREIRA [1892-1919] related to the rest of the Ferreira family?
- Stanley Camp internees:
- Frank Percy ANSLOW [1885-1955], and wife Rose Christina ANSLOW (née SHERIDAN) [c.1886-1967]
- Alexander Fearn COCHRANE [1912-1972], wife Ena COCHRANE (née PENNEY) [1916-2004], son Alexander Graham COCHRANE [1943-2005], and daughter Fearn Alexandria COCHRANE [1945- ]
- Albert James Robert MOSS (aka Papa) [1898-1979]
- Ronald Nairn RENNIE [1916-1988], and wife Anne / Annie RENNIE (née VAN DER LELY) [????- ]
- Veronica WILLEY (née THIRLWELL) [????-????]
- Gonçalo José FERREIRA [????-????] and his relatives, including the DE PINNA family.
- Cheung Yu CHAN [1903-????], BAAG wireless operator
Gwulo book news
Volume 1 is on Asian Review of Books' list of their favourite books for 2018.
Extracts from Volume 2 are published on the SCMP website.
Readers in the USA can now buy Volume 2 on Amazon, and here in Hong Kong it is now on the shelves at Commercial Press.
- Twin-gabled warehouse on seafront of Jardines' land, Causeway Bay [????-c.1961]
- Fenwick Pier (1st generation) [1929-c.1970], Stewart Road ferry pier [1956-c.1970] (and lots more historical Ferry Routes around Hong Kong).
- Tai Tam Police Station (?) [c.1919- ]
- The Praya East Reclamation Scheme - 1930 Final report
- Ngo Geng Kiu / Goose Neck Bridge [????- ]
- 15 Robinson Road [c.1936- ]
- Nos. 8-9 Tai Pak Terrace [c.1920- ]
- 17, Yuk Sau Street [c.1930- ]
- 14, Shek O Road [????- ]
- 60 Mount Kellett Road [1936- ]
- 2-4 Li Kwan Avenue [c.1933- ]
- 44 Conduit Road [????- ]
- 92 Blue Pool Road [1950- ]
- 4, Wang Fung Terrace [????- ]
- Shek Chung Au check point [????- ]
- Can anyone recognise where this photo was taken, based on the white marble pony?
- Klaus introduces a free online tool to convert scanned text into word files.
- Thanks again to Chris for organising last week's Gwulo meetup, and to everyone who came along to join us.
Click to see all recently added photos.