New on Gwulo: 2018, week 43
A summary of what's new and updated on Gwulo:
Looking for information about:
- Charles Henry HART [1808-1867], one of the successful bidders for marine lots during the first auction of Hong Kong land in 1841
- Albert JILLOTT [????-????], a prison officer in Hong Kong for over 30 years
- Stanley Camp internee William TODD [1916-????]
- Looking for photos of Terry (Taff) Evans who was a corporal in the British Army in Hong Kong in 1959-61
- Looking for Alison Ayres, who taught horse-riding in Hong Kong in the 1980s
Gwulo happy hour meetup next Tuesday, 6th November - all welcome
- The Dutch community in Hong Kong
- Herman LENZ [1900-1967] and Dina Maria Alice LENZ (née LOONTJENS) [1905-1962]
- Hajena remembers her childhood in Hong Kong, 1954-1963
- Several new comments about the Hyndman and Lobo families
- Vladimir PETRO-PAVLOVSKY [1897-1971], fought with HKVDC, escaped to Macau
- Vincent / Wing-Sin YOUNG (aka BAAG No. 62) [1918- ], BAAG member, now 101!
- Robert Grindley SOUTHERTON [1891-1948]
- Mary ABLONG (née LEUNG, aka Leung Wai Ting) [1891-1940], and son George ABLONG [1927-1978]. Also Percy Fredrick ABLONG [1892-1916]
- William James CARRIE [1891-1969], HK Cadet, interned at Stanley
- Fakir Mohammed ARCULLI (aka Tubby) [1905-1956]
- Sidney John HERRETT [1900-????]
- Station Hotel, TST [????-????]
- The reason for the basketball court below Wanchai Road in Wanchai.
- St. John's Building (1st Generation) [1965-c.1981]
- Wild Dell, Wood Road, Wanchai [c.1894- ]
- The Robin's Nest Jeep Track concrete tablet [1950-2018] has been removed
- Current condition of Pillbox 025, Wong Ma Kok [1939- ]
- Ching Lung Bakery [????- ] on Queen's Road East
Gwulo book news
Thank you to everyone who replied to last week's message and voted for their favourite cover. Across Facebook, Gwulo and Twitter there were a total of 200 votes, with 78 votes for the children cover and 122 votes for the rickshaw cover. So the rickshaw it is.
Whichever photo you preferred, you can take a closer look at it when you see the book. Both photos appear in the book, enlarged as double-page spreads.
- Researching the establishment of the ICAC in the 1970s, and looking for anyone who worked in government around that time and can describe the effects of the arrival of the ICAC.
- Looking for info about Gilman & Co selling Jaguar cars in the 1950s
- Updates on the time-line of Hong Kong car registration / licence plates
- Remembering leaving Hong Kong by ship from the Kowloon Wharves
- East India Company in Hong Kong
- [CORRECTION: The talk is on the 19th of November, not the 16th] Barbara Anslow is giving a talk in London on the 16th of November
- Looking for copies of the St John’s Review from 1951-1952
- New information about the plane crash on Lantau in 1946
- How to access the SCMP archives?
Can anyone identify this building on The Peak:
Click to see all recently added photos.