New on Gwulo: 2020, week 20
I've listed some of the recent highlights below, but you can visit the What's New page at any time to see the latest additions to the site.
- Klaus looks at how Hong Kong's roads were made in the early 20th Century
- C is gathering the history of the Kayamally fabric company.
- The 1933 Jurors list has been typed up and is now online. If you can spare 30 minutes, please could you help us to type up a page of the 1934 list?
- The Ah King Slipway [c.1891-2002], famous boatbuilders in Hong Kong for over 100 years.
- Can anyone identify which of the Dollar Steamship Line ships is shown here:
- If you were in Gun Club Hill School in 1961, can you help identify the people in this class photo?
- Phil has identified the location of another still from Love is a many splendored thing. This one shows Pok Fu Lam Road near its junction with Pokfield Road:
- New Territories
- HK Island
- Causeway Bay
- Kennedy Road
- Kennedy Town
- Several readers are arranging a visit to some of the old Japanese wartime tunnels
- Lye Mun Reverse 12 Pounder Quick-Firing Battery [c.1916- ]
- War Department Boundary Stone #2, Tai Tam Gap [????- ]
- The marker stones on the paths around Aberdeen Reservoir
- 34, 35, 36, 37 Connaught Road Central [????-c.1965]
- New photos added of The Po Hing Fong Disaster in 1925
- Looking for information about the valley between Tai Hang and the quarry (EOD Depot)
- Shek O Bus Terminus [1955- ]
- Ewo Mess (Jardines) [????-????]
- Janise Walker lived in Hong Kong as a child in the 1950s and 60s (KGV school, St Georges Mansion, etc) and would like to hear from anyone who remembers her.
- Readers are looking for any memories of Brian Fowler or John Cherry Inkson. Both were in Hong Kong with the RAF in the 1950s.
- Do readers recognise any of these men of the 54 Field Squadron of the Royal Engineers in Hong Kong in the 1950s:
- Geoffrey Cadzow HAMILTON [1917-1988]
- Stanley Camp internees:
- Leo Michael F BARTON [1926- ]
- Alexander Wylie BLACK (aka Alec) [1899-????]
- Margaret Alison Campbell BURKITT (née BLACK, aka Alison) [c.1921-1973]
- Arthur William BLISS [c.1876-1960]
- W BRUCE [c.1896-????]
- William BUCHANAN [1888-1976]
- Claude Bramall BURGESS [1910-1998] later HK's Colonial Secretary
- Ewart Connors OATES [c.1914-1944]
- Ernest Percy SAMMONS (aka Red) [c.1894-1968]
- Beatrice WILKINSON (née DAVIES) [c.1906-????]
- Annie Frances Ada WITCHELL (née NEWELL, aka Dolly) [1894-1980]
- Not interned
- James HUTCHINSON [????-2020]
Click to see all recently added photos.