New on Gwulo: 2020, week 12
Here's a summary of what's new on Gwulo. Please click through to the linked pages to leave a comment if you can add any information.
- Does anyone know what marker stones with "BP" and a number written on them were used for? Readers have found several across the New Territories. Here's a list and a map of the stones found so far.
- The SCMP recently interviewed me about my latest book. The interview and book review are online at the SCMP website. In other book news, these book stores have started carrying Gwulo's books:
- If you enjoyed the previous newsletter, "1930s View over Wanchai ...", the comments are well worth a read. Several readers pooled their knowledge to identify the American ship, the submarine, and the liner at the Kowloon Wharves. They used that information to pin down when the photo was taken to the exact date, and even the time of day give or take a couple of hours!
- Scanned copies of a selection of old HK Police magazines from the 1950s on are available to download.
- British soldiers and their families who sailed to or from Hong Kong in the 1950s & 60s may remember the troopship HMT Nevasa.
- Photos of the 1937 typhoon.
- HK Island
- North Point
- Discussions about Russian eateries in North Point, and new pages for:
- Hong Kong Electric Company Recreation Club, North Point [c.1926-c.1958]
- Coronet Court, King's Road [1958- ]
- Majestic Apartments, King's Road [1958- ]
- Mido Apartments, King's Road [1958- ]
- Can you help Wang Min Er identify a path between Robinson and Conduit Roads that is one of his childhood memories?
- Victoria Hotel, DVRC [????-c.1895]
- Coastal Searchlights at Lye Mun - Rob has shared more about their history
- Cable-car over Queensway [1906-1936]
- Wartime bunker and shelters near Tai Tam Gap [????- ]
- War Department Boundary Stone, High West #6 [????- ]
- North Point
- Free fish at the Hung Hom dry dock!
- Hammerhead Crane, Hung Hom [c.1938-1982]
- War Department Boundary Stone #8, Junction of Gascoigne and Jordan Roads
- Ordinance marker stone on Jat's Incline [????- ]
- Holy Trinity Cathedral [1937- ]
- Was this photo taken at the Lai Chi Kok or Kai Tak amusement park?
- New Territories
- Japanese tunnel on Kowloon Peak [????- ]
- James MacKenzie JACK [1895-1944]
- Evacuated to Australia in 1940:
- Stanley Camp internees:
- Leo Anatholy BORISOFF / STERLING [1916-1985]
- Franciscus Hubertus Joseph Alphonsus LAFLEUR [1890-1946] with wife Lily LAFLEUR [1907-1982]
- Deirdre LARCOMBE (née TAYLOR, aka Dee) [1941- ]. Deirdre has just published her biography, The Girl in the Drawer. Her mother, Elizabeth Anatole TAYLOR (née BORISOFF) [1918-1994], was also in Stanley Camp, while her father Alfred TAYLOR [1913-2001] was a POW.
- George William PEARSON [1905-1961]
- Nadia SERAPHINA / STERLING [????-????]
- Martha Jane STAPLE (née WARBRICK, aka Joan) [1894-1987]
- Isabella WARBRICK (aka Isa) [1900-????]
- Arthur Gordon WEIR [1912-1994] with wife Margaret Winifred Grace WEIR (née WAUGH) [1909-2005] and son Alan Gordon James WEIR [1944- ]
- Children in the Ziegler family: Eunice Mae, Doris Adell, Laurence Albert
- William Charles JACK [1857-1919] and wife Jane McWilliam JACK (née PATERSON) [1862-1938]
- Robert Spiers LOGAN [c.1890-1934] and wife Jessie LOGAN (née JACK) [1897-????]
- May MILLN / STAPLE (née JACK) [1887-1926]
- Eric Russell WALCH [1911-1959]
Click to see all recently added photos.