New on Gwulo: 2018, week 40 | Gwulo: Old Hong Kong

New on Gwulo: 2018, week 40

A summary of what's new and updated on Gwulo:


 

People

Looking for information about:

 

Gwulo lunch on Thursday, 25th October - all welcome

Annelise has arranged a lunch get-together for Gwulo's readers and contributors.
Click for details.

 

Memories of:

 


 

Places

 


 

Gwulo book news

​Volume 1 is now available to buy on Amazon.com. I've limited it to customers in the US, as for other countries the shipping fee is too expensive. (Amazon currently uses fixed shipping costs for small suppliers like me: approximately USD4 per book for US orders, and USD17 for all other countries!)

That new Amazon page is looking rather empty, so if are an Amazon customer, and you've read Volume 1, please could you help me by leaving a short review there? (You don't need to have bought the book from Amazon, or live in the US, to add a review.)

Volume 2 is keeping me busy at the moment - it's always surprising how much work it takes to get from nearly there to just right. A line I heard when working on software projects sums it up: The first 90% of the work takes the first 90% of the time, and the last 10% of the work takes the other 90% of the time.

Still, we're making good progress. I'm working on the photos, and getting them to look their best. Ross is hammering my wayward grammar and punctuation into shape, and Lilly is turning my hand-crafted Word document into a professional book layout. I plan to post up drafts of the cover layout for the new volume in the next couple of weeks.

 


 

Police

Three recent posts have a police theme:

 


 

Other

 


 

Photos

1930s Cheung Chau House
1930s Cheung Chau House, by Moddsey

 

1930s Nagasaki Joe Restaurant Calling Card
1930s Nagasaki Joe Restaurant Calling Card, by Moddsey

 

1925 Flooding - Happy Valley
1925 Flooding - Happy Valley, by Eternal1966

 

Quarry Bay Gas Holder 1980's
Quarry Bay Gas Holder 1980's, by Klaus

 

1960 Shau Kei Wan Road
1960 Unknown streetscene, by Eternal1966

 

1960 RAF Little Sai Wan
1960 RAF Little Sai Wan, by Eternal1966

 

94 years old HIGH-Resolution areal picture of Cheung Chau from 25 November 1924
HIGH-Resolution aerial photo of Cheung Chau - 25 Nov 1924, by Hans Wergin

 

Cowshed of the old Dairy Farm in Pok Fu Lam, near current day Consort Rise.
Old Dairy Farm Cowshed in Pok Fu Lam, near current day Consort Rise., by scottp

 

Senior Staff Quarters at the old Dairy Farm, Pok Fu Lam
Senior Staff Quarters at the old Dairy Farm, Pok Fu Lam, by scottp

 

1900s Queen's Building
1900s Queen's Building, by eternal1966e

 

Click to see all recently added photos.