How do I find the newspaper for a specific date?
Q. Dieter asks how he can look at the Hong Kong newspapers for 6 August 1888.
A. Start by visiting the Hong Kong Public Library's online newspaper collection:
Type the date you're looking for into their search box. You need to follow their date format, which is:
So for 6 August 1888 you'll type:
(Make sure you've put double-quotes around the date). Then click the SEARCH button.
You'll see three results:
- Hong Kong Daily Press, 1888-08-06
- The China Mail, 1888-08-06
- The Hong Kong Telegraph, 1888-08-06
Click VIEW ONLINE next to the paper you want to read, and a pop-up window appears with a scanned copy of the newspaper. You'll probably want to click the "Full screen" icon (it's in the bottom-right corner and looks like four arrows) to make it easier to read.
- The quotes, " ", tell the search to look for an exact match. If you leave them off and search for
you'll see six results. Three are from 1888-08-06 (August 6th) and three are from 1888-06-08 (June 8th).
- If you're not sure the exact date, you can also use the "YYYY-MM" format. So a search for
gives 81 results, and shows you all the newspapers from August 1888.