New on Gwulo: 2019, week 08
A look at what's been added / updated at Gwulo.com. Please click on the photos or the blue links for more information - and please leave a comment if you can add any new details.
- Does anyone recognise the building from the 1950s-60s in the upper centre of the photo below? It was in TST on the south side of Salisbury Road, across the road from the YMCA, and in front of the KCR terminus. I think it housed the Post Office's Kowloon sorting office, and may also have housed a postal facility for the British Armed Forces, but I don't have any firm proof. If you have any information about it, or can point me to any photos with a clearer view of it, please let me know.
- R.A.F. Kong Wei, listening post [c.1952-????]
- Kai Pak Ling [????- ]
- Nam Koo Terrace 南固台 #55 Ship Street (IL 2140) [c.1918- ]
- Miu Keng Terrace 妙鏡台, #53 Ship Street, 1-5 Schooner Street (IL 2093 RP & IL 2093 S.A RP) [????- ]
- A Hing photographic studio [c.1909-c.1935]
- Streets: Cornwall Avenue, Lun Fat Street
Looking for information about:
- Sharon is looking for anyone who knew her adoptive parents Captain Alan Roderick Williamson (Roddy) and Patricia Anne Williamson (Pat). Roddy was in Hong Kong with the army in the early 1960s.
- Charles PIKE, RAMC then POW at Sham Shui Po
- Helena CASTRO (née FOEGAL, aka Nellie) [c.1890-????]
- Yuen-Cheung WONG (aka Stephen Wong / 黃源章) [c.1928-1993] - photos of him meeting governors and other dignitaries.
- Jean Edouard TERNEL [c.1884-1948]
- Arrigo FOA [c.1900-1981], musician, conductor, and teacher
- Kwok-wing CHENG [1914-????], and George Henry WHITE [????-????], BAAG members
- Dorothy Elizabeth DARKIN (née DAVIES) [1931-1972]
- Governors Trench & Maclehose
- Stanley Camp internees:
- Roland Maitland ALDERTON [1902-1991]
- Herbert Louis N ASCOUGH [1897-1981]
- Lancelot Alexander BARTON (aka Lance) [1894-1966]
- Esther Maria BARTON (née XAVIER) [1895-1983]
- Terence St John BARTON [c.1925-2000]
- Reginald Charles BUTLER [1904-1994]
- John William DEAKIN [c.1885-????]
- Francis Daniel LEONARD [1884-1968]
- Samuel LILLICRAP [1887-1942]
- Anton MUNZE (aka Canaker Dick) [c.1884-1942]
- Charles MEDLEY [1913-1995]
- Eileen MEDLEY (née DONALD) [1911-2003]
- Percy NETTLE [c.1886-1964]
- Doris Nellie SHIELDS (née MITCHELL) [1909-1962]
- John Rutherford SPENCE [1880-1976]
- Harry Alan TAYLOR [1888-1972]
- Beatrice Rose TWIDALE (née CULLEN, aka Betty) [1916-1971]
- Rose Marie TWIDALE [1936- ]
- John Richard Morris Burney WALL [1910-????], policeman
- William Francis WEBB (aka Bill) [1903-????]
- William Edward WEBBER [1894-1966]
- Brinley WILLIAMS [c.1908-c.1991]
- Thanks to everyone who helped identify the photos in the previous newsletter:
- David.h is hoping to hear from anyone who knew his recently acquired 1932 Austin Seven AG tourer, which was registered in Hong Kong as AP 9057 in the 1970s, and believed to have been owned by a British ex-pat Hong Kong policeman.
- Looking for information about the Royal Artillery in Hong Kong & Singapore, 1940-42.
- I've been asked a couple of times about publishing a book, so I've started jotting down some notes. If you've published a book and can add any tips, they'll be very welcome.
- Looking for an expert who can talk about the funeral supply stores in the Sheung Wan area.
- Looking for any photos or material about the “Our Day” event in 1916
Click to see all recently added photos.