New on Gwulo: 2019, week 04
A look at what's been added / updated at Gwulo.com. Please click on the photos or the blue links for more information - and please leave a comment if you can add any new details.
Click to see all recently added photos.
Looking for information about:
- William Frank CULVER [1894-1956] - there's a record of a man with the same name in the RAF at Singapore. Were they the same person?
- Rosalina MARQUES D'OLIVEIRA (aka Rosie) [1924-????]
- Andrew Johnston, engineer, born 1844, worked in HK from 1875
- George FENWICK [????-1896], owned a shipyard in Wanchai
- Stanley Camp internees
- Harry Alan TAYLOR [????-????]
- Nona has added a photo and a cine-film from 1950 showing a wedding in the Cherikoff family
- The Abesser family
- More about the Flying Tigers in last issue's photo of Andrew Chan
- Fred ZIMMERN [1909-????], Francis ZIMMERN [1912-????], Archibald ZIMMERN (aka Archie) [c.1917-1985], Ernest ZIMMERN (aka Ernie) [????-1941]
- A recording of Aileen WOODS [1886-1970] on the radio
- Emily HAHN (aka Mickey) [1905-1997]
- Thomas LOUDON [c.1863-1889]
- Stanley Camp internees:
- Claude Ellsworth WHITE (aka Claud) [1893-1952]
- Norman DARKIN [1901-????]
- Oscar EAGER [1888-1945]
- Ernest W BLACKMORE [c.1892-????] and daughter Raymonde Fernande FORSTER / WATSON (née BLACKMORE, aka Ray) [1916-????]
- Yvette WHITFIELD [????- ]
- Winifred Monty WHALE [1888-1990]
- Maurice Alfred JOHNSON (aka Monty) [c.1885-1944]
- Kenneth George BLAIR [1887-1957]
- Time-ball tower (1st generation) [1885- ]
- Moddsey is documenting Hong Kong's bars, nightclubs and more from the 1960s and 70s, based on his collection of old matchbox labels and other ephemera, eg
- Can you tell us anything about Whitfield junior school, Kowloon [????-????]
- Phil has been updating the photos of shop houses around Hong Kong, and has also found a few new shop houses we'd missed before
- Herostratus has added Places for the generations of buildings on the hillside between Kennedy and Magazine Gap Roads.
- Nos. 8-9 Tai Pak Terrace [c.1920- ]
- Derek is updating several of Rob's military sites with photos from recent visits: Pillboxes 021 / 025 / 029, Lyon Light 029, and Stanley Battery and nearby sites AASL Engine Room, DEL Engine House, DEL 1, & DEL 2
- Are these the foundations of the Shatin Aerial Ropeway?
- Cherry Hill Lodge, Homantin Hill Road [????-1972] - photos added
- Lockhart Road Market [1954-????]
- Chater Bungalow [????-????]
- Lai Chi Kok Bridge [1968- ]
- The first customer review of the new Gwulo book has been posted.
- Memories of the Boundary St / Portland St area in the 1950s & 60s.
- Andrew has posted a couple of interesting documents from the 1950s: an Air Travel Guide for first-time passengers, and a copy of Hong Kong's Storm Warning Signal Card.
- 1957 Typhoon Wendy