Stanley Battery, Stanley [1937- ]
Year completed is: Accurate
Condition at last visit: Ruins
Date of last visit: Apr-1997
Other: Restricted Area
- 1934: Construction commenced. (WO 106/2392).
- 1937: Construction completed. (WO 106/2392).
- 1937: Armament: 3 x 9.2" BL Mk X guns on 35° Mountings, in semi-enclosed armoured turrets. (WO 106/2392). (Two guns came from Mt Davis Bty, the other from either the armament reserve or Gough Bty. (WO 106/2394).
- 1939: 3 x 9.2" BL guns, 2 x 3" AA guns.. (WO 106/2379).
- 1941: 3 x 9.2" BL guns. In action against land targets during December. Captured at surrender 25th/26th December. (WO 172/1687).
- 1945: Only No.2 and No.3 guns remained, these having been encased in 4 feet thick concrete domes by the Japanese, giving restricted firing arcs.These guns were removed in the late 1940's. (HK Lands Dept Aerial Photographs).
- 1945: British forces moved back to Stanley Fort. (HQBF Hong Kong).
- 1970: Domes removed after 1969, the positions then became the bases for Satellite Communication Dishes. (HK Lands Dept. Aerial Photographs).
- 1994: British Forces withdrew from Stanley Fort. (HQBF Hong Kong).
- 1997: Stanley Fort became a PLA Base after July 1st.
- 2014: Condition unknown, restricted area.
For a background to these notes, and a glossary of terms used, please see: http://gwulo.com/node/24630