New on Gwulo: 2019, week 20
A look at what's been added / updated at Gwulo.com. Please click on the photos or the blue links for more information - and please leave a comment if you can add any new details.
Dates for your diary
18th May - London - Barbara Anslow. If you couldn't get a seat at Barbara's sold-out talk to the Hong Kong Society, there's another chance to hear her speak on Saturday. Click for details.
1st June - HK - New Gwulo talk. I've been working my way through my collection, scanning in photos that fit the "people" theme of the new talk. Most of them haven't been shown on the Gwulo website before, so expect plenty of new photos & stories. Click for details.
- German Internment in La Salle College, 1939
- A couple of updates on the Gwulo books:
- Postcards from 1900s Hong Kong
- Looking for info about RHKP Triumph Motorbikes
- More on the Governor's hat
- Holland-China Trading Company [????- ]
- The "Person" page on Gwulo has been updated so that it now shows a person's siblings, as well as their other close relatives.
- Only two pages left to finish transcribing the 1930 Jurors List - can you help us to type a page?
- Chung Sing Benevolent Society School / Bayanihan Kennedy Town Centre [1956- ]
- Clover Hotel / Royal Hotel / Chunghing Hotel, 380 Nathan Road [c.1957-c.1987]
- Commercial Radio (Lai Chi Kok) [1959- ]
- Dent & Co.'s centre building [1863-????]
- Eu gardens / Chan Gardens, Argyle Street [1938-????]
- Hilton Hotel [1963-1995]
- Jingles (Gingle's) Restaurant, 70 Nathan Road, kowloon
- Kowloon Union Church - looking for photos or family stories
- Pat Heung Police Station [1952- ]
- Shui Ngau Ling cottage area
- Wavell House [????- ]
- Winner House (1st Generation) [1950-c.1965]
- Workshops between Navy's tidal basin and dry dock [c.1907-c.1975]
Some mystery locations we hope you can help identify:
- Swimming in rock pool
- Buffalo Hides
- Police Station & Check Point
- Chauncey WU [????-????] - did he die in 1943 or 1948?
- Thomas James Johnston FENWICK [1895-????], escaped from Hong Kong with the BAAG
- HKVDC, POW
- HK Police
- Stanley Camp internees:
- Irene JONES (née STEVENS) [1926-1991]
- If you or your family members lived on the Peak in the 1930s, can you identify anyone in this photo:
Click to see all recently added photos.