To improve the road connection between Causeway Bay and Shaukiwan, the Hong Kong Government decided to widen the existing road. The Public Works Report (PWR) for 1921 refers:
As early as 1912 the necessity for this work became apparent, and negotiations were begun with Messrs. Butterfield & Swire for the surrender of certain areas and houses to enable the project to be carried on; but it was only in September, 1920, that an agreement with them was reached.<Read more ...>
39.....the New Kowloon City Road. This road has immensely improved the communication between the East and West sides of British Kowloon Peninsula, has opened up and given access to the large village of Matau-Wei, and has proved a great boon to the numerous cyclists of the Colony.
42. At the eastern side of British Kowloon Peninsula another extremely useful road has been constructed from Hok-un to Kowloon City. <Read more ...>