New on Gwulo: 2019, week 43
A look at what's new on Gwulo.com. Please click on the photos or the blue links for more information - and please leave a comment if you can add any new details.
- Gwulo meetup on 7th November - join us for lunch?
- The memoir Recollections of Ted Harris 1941-1945 is a new addition to Gwulo. It's a good read for anyone interested in Stanley Camp, and Hong Kong in WW2.
- A new way to explore Gwulo's content is to look for tags that mention words you are interested in, then see which pages have those tags.
- A look at where Hong Kong's dragon boat races were held in the early 20th Century.
- More about Hong Kong's prohibited anchorages.
- The third Gwulo book is starting to take shape. The cover design is ready, and even though there's still plenty of work to be done, seeing the cover is a great encouragement to keep on working. After the red Volume 1 and a blue Volume 2, the third volume's colour scheme is based on British Racing Green:
- Ma Tau Kok Road Refuse Boat Pier and Live Stock Landing [1936- ]. It is still standing, but looking very run down. This is where cattle were landed to be delivered to the nearby Cattle Depot, and where Kowloon's rubbish was loaded onto barges to be taken away.
- Repulse Bay Road [Wong Nai Chung Gap to junction with Island Road] [1924- ]
- The building in this photo from the previous "What's new" has been identified as the Chen Clan Academy in Guangzhou.
- Do you recognise the building in these photos from 1920?
- Arthur Vere HARVEY [????-????] - the pilot mentioned in the previous "What's New".
- Philip HARDING KLIMANEK [1883-1965]
- Percival Douglas WILSON (aka Percy) [1877-1962] - pipe-major of the HKVDC's 2nd Scottish Company in the 1920s.
- Stanley Camp internees
- Edith Carlotta AINSLIE / GEGG (née JOHNSON-LEE) [1882-c.1951]
- William Edmund AWCOCK [????-????]
- Ernest Wilfred JACKSON [????-????]
- Douglas William MUNTON [????-????]
- Alfred Cyril OSBORNE [1925- ]
- Christian James Ernest SCOTT (aka Jock) [????-????]
- George Harris and children: Pearl, Grace, Joyce, Evelyn, Ronald, Frederick, and William
- Ruby Clark and children: Brian Peter Patrick and Robert George
- Can you identify the uniform the man is wearing in these two wedding photos:
- Madam Lau Tsung Tai, original owner of 190 Nathan Road
Click to see all recently added photos.