New on Gwulo: 2019, week 26
A look at what's been added / updated at Gwulo.com. Please click on the photos or the blue links for more information - and please leave a comment if you can add any new details.
Sorry for the double dose of newsletters - we're getting ready to head to the UK for our summer holidays, so I wanted to send these out before we leave this evening.
While we're away, you can see what contributors are adding to Gwulo by checking the "Recent posts" page. There are also a couple of exhibitions in Hong Kong over the summer that look interesting:
Or if you fancy some holiday reading:
- "THE CROWN COLONY of HONG KONG" was printed in August 1945, and given to the British soldiers, sailors and airmen who were heading to Hong Kong. It aimed to explain what to expect, and what they should & shouldn't do.
- Gwulo book news:
- Can you tell us anything about a "Grand Order of the Far East" medal, awarded to a submariner in the 1920s?
- Have you seen a HK & Shanghai Hotels "Coolie" badge like this before? Can you tell us more about it?
- Where in Central was the New Victoria Hotel, 1888-c.1902 ?
- There's a second charcoal kiln, on the path down from Sha Tin Pass. It's in better condition than the one on Jat's Incline.
- The shady origins of Victoria View Terrace
- Request for help to identify buildings in a c.1857 painting of HK
- Hong Kong Golf Club Clubhouse (Deep Water Bay) [1898- ] and Hong Kong Golf Club Clubhouse (Fanling) [1914- ]
- Pioneer Memorial Church of Seventh-day Adventists [1939-c.2019], recently demolished
- When was the first section of Nathan Road built?
- Chik Lo, 70 Tai Hang Road [c.1938-c.1961]
- Shek Pai Wan Estate (1st generation - resettlement estate) [1968-c.2000]
- 2 Chatham Road [c.1900-c.1960]
- Josh is hoping to contact family of Ms Shing-ping Lai. His grandfather, Gordon Hutchings, was a young British soldier, stationed in Hong Kong in the early 1950s. Josh believes that his Grandfather and Ms Lai had a son, and he is trying to get in touch with him.
- POW, Laurence KILBEE [1914-????]
- Memories of HK Tramways staff in the 1950s, including the manager, C S JOHNSTON [????-????]
- 1950s bands - Eddie & His Combo
- Stanley Camp internees:
- Florence Agnes ALDER (née NEAVE) [c.1909-????]
- Samuel BARFF [c.1828-1897]
- Jack EDWARDS [1918-2006]
- Victor ORLOFF [c.1912-1959]
- William Hunter PATERSON [1911-????], his wife Elsie [1914-????], and their son William [1947- ]
- Richard suggests these are "Fanlingerers playing for the Taipo Belle Cup". Can anyone add names to the men in the photo?
Click to see all recently added photos.