New on Gwulo: 2018-04
As an experiment I'll split the newsletter and "New on Gwulo" into two separate posts / emails, with the newsletter sent at the weekend and the "New on Gwulo" sent mid-week. I'll use this new format until the end of February, then ask for feedback on whether it is an improvement or not.
Looking for information about:
- Frederick Patrick Daly, born 3 Oct 1879 in Hong Kong the son of Septimus Daly.
- Several photos of Boris Georgievich / Boris George MILENKO (aka Bob) [1917-1984] and friends have been posted. Can anyone identify the other people in the photos?
- John ARNOLD [????-????], who worked for the Hong Kong, Canton and Macao steam boat company, and published several books of photos of the area.
- Marjorie Mary Moore Smith, one of the nurses killed at Stanley by the Japanese.
- Jim VOLGIN [????-????]
- Harry STAINFIELD [1875-1945], and any other members of the Stainfield family in Hong Kong
- Can identify the people in these photos of soldiers in Hong Kong, c.1937-8
- Chief Detective Inspector Albert COLLETT [????-????]
- William Alfred STEWART [1900-????] and his house on the Peak
- Victor Vander NEEDA [1903-????] a jockey and businessman
- John Thomas COTTON [????-????], a long-term resident of Hong Kong from 1880s til 1930s
- Peter HUTTON POTTS [1929-1993]
- Cedric James JULYAN (aka Sonny, Jim) [1923-1959]
- Photos added of Red Hill 1 & 2, 358-359 The Peak [c.1898-????] and Brockhurst [1880-????].
- National Hotel [????-????], one of John Olson's properties.
- London Missionary Society compound - IL 98 [????-????]
- Shing Mun Reservoir Japanese Tunnels (below redoubt) [c.1943- ]
- Japanese Tunnels in the Tates Cairn -One Rise more- Fei Ngo Shan Area
- What type of books were held at the Nixon Library in Yuen Long?
- Photos & notes from a visit to Lyon Light #24
- The short railway spur at Hung Hom that ran into the Cable & Wireless site.
- Daibutsu, the Japanese store in Wanchai
- The location of the 1950s photo of children playing is narrowed down.
- Herostratus has posted full scans of a couple of interesting books:
- It is 100 years since the Gresson Street Affray, when several policemen were shot dead while investigating a gang of robbers. Hear and read about it.
- Ngaire Atkinson is interested to hear from anyone with memories of the following from when she lived in 1950s Hong Kong as a child:
- Further updates on the list of men from Hong Kong who died in WW1
- Sir Lindsay Ride's diary of his brief time as a POW, and his escape.
- A rare view of the railway line connecting Kowloon Wharf and the KCR in use.
- What is this curious pillar with a cross at Stanley?
Click to see all recently added photos.