Queen’s Road began its route through Hong Kong’s commercial heart as a refined thoroughfare lined with prosperous buildings. However it became progressively less dignified, and a great deal more colourful, as it snaked westward through the more visibly Chinese sector of town. Here it coursed between open-fronted shops, overcrowded tenements and impromptu markets bristling with shop signs.
In this view,
again dating from 1939 ((since identified as 1952 - see comments below)), we see familiar English brand names identifying the already popular San Miguel Beer and Bata Shoes, produced by a company founded in 1894 in Zlin (then part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and today the Czech Republic). The family of its founder, Tomáš Bat’a had been cobblers for generations. At upper right is a sign identifying what was already another familiar brand name, Camel, but this time associated with paints rather than cigarettes.
Hong Kong’s longest surviving western-style restaurant, Jimmy’s Kitchen, borrowed its name from an earlier restaurant in Shanghai, owned by a friend of its founder. The first branch in Hong Kong was launched in Wanchai in 1928.
- The text and photo are copyright FormAsia, and appear on pages 42-3 of their new book, Once Upon A Time.
- The text is written by author Peter Moss.
- The photo shown above is a low-resolution copy. The book uses the high-resolution original, printed at 46.5 x 27 cm (18" x 10.5"). Here's an example of the detail:Mon, 09/22/2014 - 21:55
Cropped from this photo.Date picture taken1939Gallery
- Click here for more information about the book.
- Click here to buy the book.