European Lunatic Asylum / Victoria Mental Hospital [1885-1961]
This building - the European Lunatic Asylum - was built on Bonham Road in 1885 as a "proper Lunatic Asylum" for Europeans. It had 8 beds (4 for men and 4 for women).
It was not for treatment, but was a place where those with mental illness could stay pending return to their home country.
In 1895, this building and the nearby Chinese Lunatic Asylum merged into one and in terms of medical cover, the combined asylum was treated as an annex to the Government Civil Hospital.
The asylum era ended in 1925 when the term ‘lunatic asylum’ was substituted with 'mental hospital' – and the Chinese and European blocks became the Victoria Mental Hospital. The hospital had 23 beds.
In 1938 the mental hospital expanded again when part of the Medical Staff Quarters in High Street was converted for its use. These additional premises were used to treat women, increasing the total number of beds to 84.
In 1961, the Mental Hospital was moved to Castle Peak.