Pedder's Wharf (pre-1886) [????-1886] | Gwulo: Old Hong Kong

Pedder's Wharf (pre-1886) [????-1886]

Current condition: 
Demolished / No longer exists
Date Place demolished: 

This pier stood in front of the north-west corner of Melchers' Building, at the junction of Pedder Street and the old Praya (today's Des Voeux Rd Central).

Dates approximate:

  • Completion: ?
  • Demolition: The Government Gazette announced a tender for "removal of the old Pedder's Wharf" (Notification 265, 17 July 1886).

Photos that show this place


From Wikipedia:

Served as the official wharf of the colonial establishment from 1841 to 1890s.

In February 1886, the first pile of the new Pedder's Wharf was driven in 38 feet (12 m) from the praya wall. "Three similar piles have been towed over from Tsim Sha Tsui and are ready to be put in place". The new wharf, located at the junction of Pedder Street and Des Voeux Road, extended 195 feet (59 m) out from the praya wall, and was 40 feet (12 m) wide. Six sets of steps lead down to the water.

Pedder Wharf became landlocked after the big reclamation scheme of 1890–1904, and was replaced by Blake Pier.

From The Hongkong Telegraph 1882-07-18:

We hear that the matshed at Peddar's Wharf was blown to pieces during the storm last night.