|Pre-order the new Gwulo book today to get
special price, free shipping, signed copies, and a free sample
Details and how to order
New on Gwulo: 2019, week 45
A look at what's new on Gwulo.com. Please click on the photos or the blue links for more information - and please leave a comment if you can add any new details.
- The weather's looking perfect for tomorrow's Gwulo lunchtime meetup (Thursday, 7th November) - we'll be at the outdoor seating area of the American Club in Central, which has great views. Hope to see you there.
- If any UK readers would like to attend Barbara Anslow's funeral service and celebration of her life next Monday, 11th November, Jill has kindly forwarded these details from Barbara's daughter:
Barbara’s funeral will be held at the Sacred Heart and St Francis Catholic Church in Frinton-on-Sea on 11th November at 1.45pm followed by a cremation at Weeley Crematorium at 3.30pm and a celebration of her life at Frinton Cricket Club afterwards.
Please do let anyone you know who may wish to attend. We received truly wonderful support from St Helena Hospice based in Colchester who enabled us to care for her at home until the end which was her fervent wish, if you could let everyone know that we would ask in lieu of flowers anyone who wishes to could send a donation on Mum's behalf to this charity.
- Newspaper clipping of the arrival of British Troops in 1945
- A look at old bottles found around Hong Kong
- Rob has identified the Mystery buildings on Tate's Ridge [????- ] as belonging to the Heavy Anti-Aircraft battery that was nearby.
- Hung Hom Ferry Pier (1st generation?) [c.1903-c.1960]
- Kam Ling Hotel [1919-????]
- Victoria Road (former Jubilee Road) [1903- ]
- Some good detective work in the comments for this photo to identify its location:
- Does anyone recognise this one:
- Looking for any memories / information about the Rafeek family.
- Chang Kwai-Tong, one of the boys 'adopted' by the RAF in 1945:
- Randall Thomas GORDON-DUFF (aka Randy) [1904-1942], in Hong Kong with the 4th Submarine Flotilla
- Stanley Camp internees
- Elizabeth Marie ASLETT (née OSBORNE) [c.1893-????]
- Ethel B BARRON [c.1897-????]
- Frank HILL [c.1888-????]
- Eric James KENNARD [c.1921-2007]
- Mabel LARGE (née REDWOOD) [1923-2019] - I was very sorry to hear that Mabel passed away last month. I never had the chance to meet Mabel, but her contributions to Gwulo show she had a lively sense of humour:
- Douglas William MUNTON [1883-1963]
- Alfred Cyril OSBORNE [1924- ]
- Bertha Philomena OSBORNE [1900-1983]
- Violet K PODMORE (aka V) [1905-1996]
- Edith Townsend
Click to see all recently added photos.