New on Gwulo: 2018, week 15
A summary of what's new and updated on Gwulo:
The Gwulo book is available again
It's been out of print for the last six weeks, so apologies to everyone who has had to wait for their order. I didn't expect the first 1,000 copies to go out so quickly, and so left it too late to re-order.
The good news is that the second print run was delivered today:
If you've already ordered, your order has just been mailed out this afternoon.
Or if you've been holding off till the books are available, please go ahead and order a copy of the Gwulo book.
Where have the first 1,000 have gone?
Web / Book stores
Hong Kong / International
Looking at the books sold via the Gwulo website, the split is
It's been a lovely surprise to see the first 1,000 head out so quickly, and I'm very pleased to see how much international interest there is in Hong Kong's history. I'll report back on the second 1,000 to let you know if there's any change in how and where they're bought.
Finally, a favour to ask - if you know anyone you think might enjoy the book, please could you send them the link to download the free sample chapters and suggest they take a look:
Looking for information about:
- Betty Church. She was mentioned in a recent question, and when I listened to an interview about her I found she had led a remarkable life. Can anyone add any more memories & information to her page?
- Norman Hellevick died on the sea journey taking former Stanley internees from Hong Kong to the UK after liberation. Bob thinks Norman died from diabetic shock. Can anyone confirm?
- The Holloway & Martin families, interned at Stanley
- Donald Cater DAVIS [1897-????], HSBC banker & Stanley internee
- Frederick Anselm REDMOND [????-1958], University Professor, HKVDC, POW
- James DALZIEL [????-1934], Chief engineer B&S, Taikoo Sugar, RHKYC
- Patricia Roberts FORSTER (aka Pat / Paddy) [1940- ]
- Ann has added information to several of the Stanley internees' pages:
- Eileen Beasley REDMOND (née DAVIS) [1893-????]
- Phyllis CULVER [????- ]
- William Frank CULVER [1894-1956]
- Adam Gray DALZIEL [1910-1961]
- Freddie DALZIEL (née MARSH) [????-????]
- John Denis Holloway MARTIN [????- ]
- Ernest W L MARTIN [1888-????]
- Henry August WITTENBACH [1900-1989]
- Francis King PAGET [1907-????]
- Henrietta Mead PAGET [1878-????]
- Sarah Margaret MASON (née REFO, aka Peggy) [1930-2002]
- Researching The Royal Naval Dockyard Police
- Building at 70 Tai Hang Road [1962-1983]
- New Oriental Building [1898-c.1955]
- Birdly Jeep Track concrete tablet [c.1950- ]
- Two large pre-WW2 houses in the hills above North Point, Seven Sisters [????-????] and Kai Yuen / 繼園 [1938-c.1969]
- Ming Ying School
- Memories of Christmas dinner at Sek Kong camp, 25 Dec.1957
- We're flying through the 1926 Jurors List, and have just passed the half-way mark. Please help us finish by joining in and typing up a page.
- A list of the different groups who took part in the Queen's birthday parade, 1958
- An unusual stylised map of Central up to the Peak:
- Was this taken in Hong Kong? Does anyone recognise the Rolls Royce?
Click to see all recently added photos.