Hannah Mabel WARREN (née OLSON) [1880-1966]
I am looking for information about my grandmother, Hannah Warren, who returned to Hong Kong from England in June 1923 on the death of her husband, my grandfather, Charles Edward Warren, but whose funeral she did not arrive in time to attend. Her own death certificate states that she had spent "about" 25 years in Australia. We assume that she was evacuated from Hong Kong between 1939 and 1941, but there is no definite record of that. I haven't been able to find any record of where she was living after her return in 1923 until 1941. Her eldest son, Leslie Warren remained in Hong Kong from 1923 to 1941 and her half brother, John Olson jnr. kept his house in Broadwood Road until well into the 1930s. I haven't been able to trace exactly how long. There are rare photos of Hannah at The Towers in both the Warren and Olson collections, but nobody of our generation was originally able to identify her from these. Photos usually show her with her half-brother, Charles Olson and/or Leslie Warren.
Hannah's two grandchildren, brought up in Hong Kong till the age of 11 and 12 respectively, have no memory of her and she does not appear in their christening photos. Nor does her name appear in the autobiography of Hannah's half-niece's husband, Cyril Gaby, although the Gabys would have been the most likely people for her to have accompanied to Australia, when they took leave there from Amoy via Hong Kong in 1939. Leslie Warren had already sent his wife and children to England in 1938 because of the Japanese threat. It seems logical that he would have wanted to make sure that his mother was safe.
Any information about Hannah Warren in Hong Kong between 1923 and 1941 would be welcome.
- Hannah Mabel WARREN (née OLSON) [1880-1966] child of Jons JAKOBSSON (aka John Olson) [1838-1918]
- Hannah Mabel WARREN (née OLSON) [1880-1966] parent of Leslie Beal WARREN [1900-1943]
- Hannah Mabel WARREN (née OLSON) [1880-1966] parent of Arthur Cecil WARREN [1906-1930]
- Hannah Mabel WARREN (née OLSON) [1880-1966] spouse of Charles Edward WARREN [1872-1923]
- Hannah Mabel WARREN (née OLSON) [1880-1966] parent of Evelyn LEWIS (née WARREN) [1901-1954]