1920s Bowrington Canal

Mon, 09/22/2014 - 20:19

Photo received from reader IDJ.

The photo also appears on page 92 of the 'City of Victoria' book, with the caption:

Bridge over Bowrington Canal in the 1920s

Tram service commenced in 1904. The first covered double-deck tramcar went into use in 1912 while the fully enclosed upper deck tramcar appeared after 1925. Both sides of Bowrington Canal were clustered with houses. Bowrington became quite well developed in the 1920s. The railway tracks seen to the right of the photo were laid to transport sand and soil removed from Morrison Hill to the waterfront land reclamation during the Praya East Reclamation Project.

Date picture taken