Central School - IL 78 [????-????] | Gwulo: Old Hong Kong
Pre-order the new Gwulo book today to get 
special pricefree shippingsigned copies, and a free sample
Details and how to order

Central School - IL 78 [????-????]

Current condition: 
Demolished / No longer exists

Photos that show this place

Comments

Central School moved to its new premises on Hollywood Road around 1889. At the same time it changed its name to Victoria College.

Government Gazette No. 24, 15th June 1861 (reporting Legco meeting 23rd March)

... a Scheme prepared by Dr. Legge for a better system of Chinese Education in Hongkong, by the establishment of a Central School in Victoria, instead of that now existing of detached Schools throughout the City.  It had been recommended by the Board of Education, and had received the approval of th eGovernor; but as there was no eigible site at the disposal of the Government for carrying out the proposed measure, it was suggested to purchase Inland Lot No. 78, in Gough Street, whcih was reported by the Surveyor General as suited for the object in view, and which might be obtained with the Buildings thereon for a sum not exceeding $29,500 [very faint] - A portion of th esite might be made available for a Girls' School now temporarily established in the Albany ... 

AND

Government Gazette no. 14 4th April 1863 

Governnent Notification no 43, Tenders .... construction of an additional School Room and Arcade at the Central School, Gough Street.

Anthony Sweeting writes that the Government Central School opened during February 1862, in premises on Gough Street. In a footnote he notes there are several conflicting opinions on the exact opening date, ranging from January to March of that year. See page 151 of his book, Education in Hong Kong Pre-1841 to 1941.