Cornwall Avenue, in the back is the junction of of Carnarvon Road & Bristol Avenue / Cornwall Avenue. Above San Miguel Beer a bit of Waltzing Matilda Inn is visible, and a sign to the Marquis Restaurant.
Think it's the opposite direction to this one: <Read more ...>
Text on Flickr:
Chinese Methodist Church, Wanchai. This has since been demolished and rebuilt as an office building with the church on the ground floor. <Read more ...>
Cropped from 1973 TST Hankow rd <Read more ...>
Shows the French Restaurant Au Trou Normand on the left side (a bit hidden above the Great Wall sign). <Read more ...>
SCMP reported in 2003: Founded by a former French paratrooper, Bernard Vigneau, in 1964, the 60-seat restaurant was a slice of Europe in Tsim Sha Tsui.
The restaurant was located at 6 Hankow Road (probably inside the Hanchung Mansion which opened 05/1962), at least until the 1980s.
It moved later to 4B-6H Carnarvon Road. <Read more ...>
From the "Hong Kong Tourist Association Official Guidebook" , year 1980. <Read more ...>
234 Des Voeux Road Central. <Read more ...>
The message on the advert makes one wonder what actually was "1950s English style steak cooking"! <Read more ...>
There was a Jimmy's Kitchen in Kowloon in the 1930's already. It was located at (approx. 28) Hankow Road in the European Houses on Hankow Road (1920/30's) [c.1929-c.1962]. Possibly the restaurant was there during the existence of the houses.
Wasn't mentioned on their website. <Read more ...>
Download free sample chapters, or buy the books:
Click on your area of interest to choose from over 30,000 pages about old Hong Kong:
Or choose a popular article:
Go to: Top of page | Home | What's new