In the photo, the new Sailors' and Soldiers' Home is out of sight but is next to the building on the right. The tram tracks have yet to be realigned and make a slight curvature to the right. If the year of the photo is correct, the westernmost Blue Building as seen here is yet to be demolished. <Read more ...>
Date picture taken (to nearest decade for older photos):
Completed in 1904, Royal Buildings stood on a narrow site that extended along Ice House Street. After a major fire in 1929 occupied as the King Edward Hotel it was rebuilt as an office block in 1931 and renamed Chung Tin Building.
The white house on the right looks pretty much like the Metropodle Hotel with the sign on the roof (unfortunately, can't read anything). Left of the hotel, two chimneys are visible. These can't belong to Taikoo Sugar - if so, they should be right of the hotel. Probably they belong to quarries located north of Taikoo Sugar.
On hkmaps.hk, the 1903.1 map shows water depths, pretty shallow like on the photo. <Read more ...>