Everything tagged "Palmer & Turner" | Gwulo: Old Hong Kong
Pre-order the new Gwulo book today to get 
special pricefree shippingsigned copies, and a free sample
Details and how to order

Everything tagged "Palmer & Turner"

P&T Architects & Engineers Ltd [1871- ]

Architecture Firm who designed many of Hong Kong's iconic buildings in the late 19th & early 20th Century under various names, most famously as Palmer & Turner. 

 

Timeline of Partners and Projects:

 

Wilson & Salway (est.1871-1875)

  • German Club (1872)
  • St. Peter’s Seamen’s Church (1872)
  • The Chartered Bank (1878)

 

Wilson & Bird (1881-1881)

  • Beaconsfield Arcade (1880)
  • St. Joseph ‘s English College (1881)

 

Eu gardens / Chan Gardens, Argyle Street [1938-????]

Date Place completed: 
c.1938-01-01 (Month, Day are approximate)

Early references to these buildings call them Eu Gardens, but by the 1960s they'd changed name to Chan Gardens.

This 1969 document gives the address as 158 Argyle Street: https://books.google.com.hk/books?id=4W0nAQAAIAAJ&dq=%22chan+gardens%22+...

District Watch Quarters [1902-????]

Date Place completed: 
c.1902-01-01 (Month, Day are approximate)

$1,000 was given by the government for construction of a District Watch Quarters/Station in Tai Ping Shan, the balance of the cost for the building being supplied by Messers Palmer & Turner, who carried out the work

Source (No 75)

Tai Ping Theatre (2nd generation) [1932-1981]

Date Place completed: 
1932-08-31
Date Place demolished: 
1981-02-12

Dates & location from Cinema Treasures:

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/34362

Previous place(s) at this location: 

Sailors Home and Mission to Seamen / Harcourt House [1933-c.1983]

Date Place completed: 
1933-04-23
Date Place demolished: 
c.1983-12-31 (Year, Month, Day are approximate)

1911 Survey of Chico Terrace

Date picture taken (to nearest decade for older photos): 
1911
Places shown in this photo: 

This is a copy of the a survey done on Chico Terrace in August 1911 by the famous firm of Palmer & Turner. The Lots go all the way to the boundary wall between Chico Terrace and what is now Rednaxella.

Holland House [1937-????]

Date Place completed: 
1937-06-29

9, Queen's Road Central.

Completion date taken from page 7 of the Hong Kong Daily Press for 29th June, 1937:

Holland House, the latest addition to the Colony's office buildings, has now been completed, and several firms will go into occupation during the week.

[It] is owned by the Hong Kong Land Investment and Agency Co., Ltd. It is a fine, modern-styled building faced with glazed tiles, designed for offices, with three residential flats on the upper storey.

Estrellita, Hong Kong's first Hacienda [1934- ]

Date Place completed: 
1934-12-31

12, Repulse Bay Road

Notes from IDJ:

Bank of Canton [1924-c.1966]

Date Place completed: 
1924-07-12
Date Place demolished: 
c.1966-01-01 (Year, Month, Day are approximate)

The 1924 PWD AR gives the location as " ML 102, section A".

See attached newspaper clipping for opening date, and architect (Palmer & Turner).

The demolition date of 1966 is a guess, based on a 1966 photo which shows an empty lot where the building was demolished. By the time this photo was taken in the late 60s, a new tower block has sprung up in its place:

Previous place(s) at this location: 

Hongkong Hotel, North Wing [1892-1926]

Date Place completed: 
1892-12-01
Date Place demolished: 
1926-12-31

In photos of Hong Kong from the 1890s, this building is hard to miss - it towers over its neighbours on the seafront.

Hong Kong Hotel

But although it's the view we usually see of the hotel,

Pages

Subscribe to Everything tagged "Palmer & Turner"