Gas Works, Shek Tong Tsui [1864-c.1960] | Gwulo: Old Hong Kong
Pre-order the new Gwulo book today to get 
special pricefree shippingsigned copies, and a free sample
Details and how to order

Gas Works, Shek Tong Tsui [1864-c.1960]

Current condition: 
Demolished / No longer exists
Date Place completed: 
1864-12-03
Date Place demolished: 
c.1960-12-31 (Year, Month, Day are approximate)

A map from the 1930s (plate 3-5a, Mapping Hong Kong) shows this between Queen's Road West and Clarence Terrace, just west of the junction with Whitty Street.

Tags: 

Photos that show this place

Comments

Adam has noted there was a big explosion here on 14th May 1934. There's a summary of the event in point 13 of the Annual Report of the Police & Fire brigade:

13. Gas Works Explosion.—At 11.05 a.m. on the morning of 14th May, a large gasometer with a capacity of 500,000 cubic feet belonging to the Hong Kong and China Gas Company, Limited, at West Point exploded, the flaming gas setting light to houses in Clarence Terrace, Chun Sing Street and Yu On Terrace. Within two hours the fire was well under control although the work of searching the debris was not completed for another twenty-four hours. In all forty-two persons were killed or died from injuries received and a large number injured. Five houses were completely gutted and eleven damaged by fire and water. Apart from the actual gasometer which exploded, no damage was done to the Gas Works.

Steel Gasholder was completed on IL 834 in 1910

Source PWD report 1910 (No 36)

The Hong Kong Government Gazette from 17th October, 1874 reports damages after the typhoon of the 22nd and 23rd September, 1874.

Among these is: The majority of the lamp posts also lost their lanterns, and the gas works were so damaged that Gas could not be supplied to the Streets for two nights.

Source HKGRO

Gas works are marked on this aerial view from 1950.

1950 HK aerial view 3
1950 HK aerial view 3, by eternal1966e

This zone includes the two areas mentioned in the 1940 ordinance (see here):

(1) Whitty Street, between Des Voeux Road West and Queen’s Road West, comprising Marine Lots Nos. 190 and 191;

(2) between Queen’s Road West and Clarence Terrace, Inland Lot No. 834 Section A;

So originally the gas works were north of Queen's Road West, and expanded later to the area south of the road.

On the 1957 map (HK Map Viewer), gas holders are shown on both places (north and south of Queen's Road West). On the area north of Qeen's Road West  Wing Wah Mansions were built, first occupied 12/1962. So the the end of operation was about 1960.

From HONG KONG HONGS WITH LONG HISTORIES AND BRITISH CONNECTIONS by DAN WATERS*

On December 3rd 1864, Hong Kong was lit with gas for the first time.

The first manager in Hong Kong was R.C. Whitty. It was he who erected the plant, which came from Britain, on the waterfront at West Point (near Whitty Street). It was the first gas utility in the Far East. Jardine's office, the Hong Kong Dispensary (A.S. Watson and Company), and the Hong Kong Hotel were the first buildings to be lighted by gas.