Victoria Recreation Club, Central [1908-1954]
"The Victoria Recreation Club has always been associated with sporting activities such as swimming and rowing and was predominantly Portuguese for many years. This was especially so when it had a swimming pool and club-house in the central business area and young Portuguese office workers made good use of its facilities."
The Victoria Recreation Club— The "father" of all sporting clubs in the Colony is undoubtedly the Victoria Recreation Club, which was founded on October 25, 1849 (when the Colony was in its infancy), under the name of the Victoria Regatta Club. The promotion of yachting races seems to have been the sole object of the Club. The first regatta was held in 1849. the programme including sailing races and races for wherries. four-oared gigs, cutters, house-boats, &c..
It appears to have died a natural death in 1855, but was revived five years later, with a membership of seventy-eight.
The club-house was situated close to the water front, and the typhoons of 1872 and 1874 did a great deal of damage to it ; the repairs consequent upon the 1874 typhoon costing over $5,000.
In 1900-1 the club premises were removed to Kowloon, as the Admiralty required the then existing site in connection with the scheme for constructing large docks (since built), but a promise was given to the Club that a new site adjoining the docks would be granted at the completion of the work.
... The great typhoon of September 18, 1906 demolishing the Club premises at Kowloon and doing damage to the extent of about $11,000.
In the early part of 1907, after considerable delay, the new site was handed over to the Club and a handsome building has been erected upon it, commanding a splendid view of the harbour and affording excellent facilities for the launching of boats, swimming, and gymnastics.