|Pre-order the new Gwulo book today to get
special price, free shipping, signed copies, and a free sample
Details and how to order
Jubilee Street [c.1875- ]
Named after: Named to commemorate the 50th year of Queen Victoria's Reign.
Jubilee Street is a short street in Central with a length of about 200 m (today)
- 18??: Street first laid out, from Queen's Road Central to Des Voeux Road. This was after the 1850/60's reclamation (but no street shown on the 1866 map) and before 1887. Date guessed as 1875.
- 1887: Street named (probably in November)
- 1898 (ca.): Street extended to Connaught Road after reclamation
- 1919 (ca.): Jubilee Street Pier was opened
- 1933: Vehicular Ferry Pier, Central [1933-1994] opened, the old pier was demolished
- 1994: Vehicular pier was demolished and in this area a new reclamation started (the new coastline was some 350 m extended from the 1990's one, finished 1997)
Other points of interest: Central Market (several generations e.g.. Central Market, 2nd Generation [1858-1890])