Johnston's House / Heard & Co / Beaconsfield [1843-1916]
One of the earliest buildings to be constructed in Hong Kong
Construction began in August of 1842
Large two storied edifice commenced, facing the parade for the town residence of the Lieutenant governor
18th August 1842 - Friend of China
1843 - 1846 The government rents the house at $150 per month as a temporary residence for the Governor.
1846 - 1848 Used as temporary accommodation for the Supreme Court.
1860 Expanded into a three-storey building with basement and two corner towers.
1860s - late 1876 Rented to Heard & Co. and other companies. Used in the 1870s as the Russian Consulate.
1879 Acquired by E.R. Belilios, a merchant, renamed “Beaconsfield” in 1882, and leased for various uses, including accommodation for the Hongkong & Shanghai Bank and Butterfield & Swire.
1897 - 1911 Leased by the government for use as offices by the Attorney General, Crown Solicitor, Education Department and Sanitary Department.
1915 Acquired by the Missions Étrangères de Paris and renamed “French Mission Building”.
The building was replaced by a new building shortly after with construction beginning in 1916 and completed by 1919