Field Cottage, Kai Tak [????-1936]

Submitted by David on Mon, 02/27/2017 - 16:43
Current condition
Demolished / No longer exists
Date closed / demolished
(Day is approximate.)

Position of marker is approximate.

Notes from IDJ:

Field Cottage was the headquarters of the Hong Kong Flying Club.

It was situated at the north-west corner of the airfield on one of the few roads remaining from the Kai Tak Investments estate’s layout. Most of the incomplete estate was situated in streets on or near the Bund.

It is not known how it gained its name as its hardly a cottage, more a mansion. Or who built it or originally owned it.

The building appears to be a solitary one with no others in the vicinity. It can be seen in the background of a number of the airfield pictures from that period. At a later date, it disappears from Kai Tak pictures, so presumably demolished. Possibly as its height and bulk was interfering with aircraft landing and taking off. Especially when night flying started.

Photos that show this Place


Earliest references in HKGRO and HKPL of the Field Cottage can be traced back to 1930. Although the Hong Kong Flying Club had been formed earlier, Governor Peel attended the opening ceremony to launch the Club's career on 31 May 1930. In an article in the HK Sunday Herald the next day, it was noted that "R. Vaughan-Fowler, the founder and sponsor of the Club had been at Home (U.K.) studying air conditions and upon his return it would no doubt afford him great gratification to witness the development of the estate once known as Field Cottage - now the headquarters of the new Club."