Welcome to the new server
Welcome to the upgraded website. There is still a long list of items to work on, but the main features of the site are working.
If you find any problems eg information or features missing, links that don't work, etc., please leave a comment below with a link to the problem page, and details of the problem.
If you want to check how a page used to look, you can still see the pre-upgrade website at: http://old.gwulo.com/
27 Nov Updates:
- I've made some changes to improve the performance on two of the big pages on the website: http://gwulo.com/place-map-search-OL and http://gwulo.com/list-of-person. You should find these load more quickly.
- If you find any pages that are very slow to load, please let me know in the comments and I'll see what can be done to improve them.
20 Nov Updates:
- Timelines are back for Places, so you can see older and newer buildings on a site. Please let me know if any aren't working properly.
- I've made some changes to the way uploaded photos are handled, which hopefully will stop the errors we've seen. Please let me know if you run in to any problems when uploading photos.
7 Nov Updates:
- All the overlaid scanned maps should be working again now (see the bottom of http://gwulo.com/old-hong-kong-maps for a list)> If you find any problem, please let me know.
6 Nov Updates:
- The first of the overlaid scanned maps is working again: http://gwulo.com/1924-map-hong-kong-western
- I've hidden the "My Recent Posts" list from users who are logged out, as the list only makes sense if the website knows which user is viewing it. Thanks to Sean for pointing this out.
4 Nov Updates:
- Moddsey pointed out the the "Places shown" gallery often showed the same photo twice and sometimes even three or four times! I can't work out what is causing the problem, so I've changed it to just show the first three (ie oldest three) photos, plus a link to the page that shows all the photos of this Place. That single-page view doesn't have the problem of showing duplicates.
- I've also used this changed it to move any undated photos to the bottom of the list. Pre-upgrade they used to appear at the top.
30 Oct Updates:
- Added "Navigate gallery" option on photo pages, to make it easier to flip through photos in a gallery.
29 Oct Updates:
- Repaired various problems with the photo galleries that were introduced with the upgrade.
22 Oct Updates:
- Enabled the new "Insert image" feature. See http://gwulo.com/node/21987 for more details.
21 Oct Updates:
- The Image-Atom pages now show links to add comments.
- You can now edit your Image-Atom after saving it.
- I've taken the "Add new comment" forms off the bottom of the page, in preparation for inserting media into text. Click the "Add new comment" or "Reply" links to access the form where you can enter a comment.
20 Oct Updates:
- I've upgraded the zoomify viewer to the new version. A couple of improvements:
- It now works on browsers that don't support Flash. This includes a lot of mobile phones and tablets, eg iPad, iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, etc.
- The navigation window that used to cover the top-left corner of the image can now be hidden. eg view an image, http://gwulo.com/atom/19655. The navigation window is shown. Move your mouse pointer over the image then move it away. The navigation window disappears. Move your mouse over the image again and the navigation window re-appears.
16 Oct Updates:
- Image Galleries are working again <Click to view>. They are more flexible than the previous version giving you the option to view all images in a gallery and its sub-galleries, or just those in the sub-gallery.
- Images that were inserted into text are now linked to their pages again. Click the image to visit its page.
14 Oct Updates:
- Tidied up layout of Person page, and formatting of dates.
- Note that the "What links here" feature isn't accurate yet, as the site is still re-building the lists of links. It should be finished re-building by the end of this wek.
- Tidied up layout of photos on front page.
13 Oct Updates:
- Photos that were inserted into text should now be displayed correctly. If you find any pages or comments that are missing the photo, or show a code instead of the photo, please let me know in the comments below. (The code would look something like [ img_assist|nid=15026|title=View from St George's Court, looking down Kadoorie Ave.|desc=|link=node|align=center|width=320|height=213 ]).
12 Oct Updates:
- Photos on Places are working again, so you can see small copies on the main page (eg http://new.gwulo.com/node/2371) and large copies if you click the Place's "photos" tab (eg http://new.gwulo.com/node/2371/photos).
- When you upload photos you now have the option to upload several files at once, then fill in their details (title, date, etc), instead of having to upload them one by one.
- When Flickr photos are added to Gwulo, we now automatically record any tags from the Flickr photo, and also record the Flickr author so you can use them when searching.
- I've used the upgrade as a chance to get the Harrison Forman photos displaying again.
11 Oct Updates:
- It should now be possible to create a photo, please see the "Create" link in the block to the left. You have the option to upload a file or paste in a link to a photo on Flickr. Please could you try it and let me know if anything is confusing or doesn't work as expected?
- The Search Index is now 100% complete.
9 Oct Updates:
- Today has been spent working on getting "upload a photo" to work. Making progress, but not quite there yet.
- The Search Index is now 62% complete.
8 Oct Updates:
- Photos & videos reappear in their new form. For reasons unknown, the new software describes them as 'atoms'. The big improvement is that they are all handled in a very similar way, regardless of whether they are an uploaded JPEG file, a photo on Flickr, a video on Youtube, etc. So when you're editing a page or a comment, you'll be able to insert any photo/video atom into your text.
- The Search Index is now 49% complete.
7 Oct Updates:
- Not much visible progress today - a day spent chasing bugs.
- The Search Index is now 40% complete.
6 Oct Updates:
- You can view & create Diaries and their pages, see links in the Directory block on the left.
- The Search Index is now 35% complete.
5 Oct Updates:
- You can view & create People, see links in the Directory block on the left.
- The Search Index is now 31% complete.
4 Oct Updates:
- You can view & create Places, see links in the Directory block on the left. On the map of Places you can now choose from any of the Google maps: Physical, Normal, Hybrid, or Satellite
- I've just deleted the first piece of spam from the new site - they didn't take long to find us!
3 Oct Updates:
- You can view & create forum topics, see links in the Directory block on the left.
2 Oct Updates:
- Enabled compression on downloaded content, which will help pages load faster in the browser.
1 Oct: Updates:
- The layout of the page now adjusts to better fit the screen you're using. The biggest change is for smartphones with small screens. On these the sidebars are moved to the bottom of the page, below the main content. That pushes the "What's new" link to the bottom of the screen, so I've added a "What's new" link to the menu at the top of every page.
- The ability to draw & embed maps is working again, eg see /comment/13956#comment-13956
- There is still a lot to do before the upgrade is finished, but here's an early look.
- You won't be able to create new pages yet (image / person/ place/ etc), though you should be able to leave comments on existing pages.