Junction of Hill Road and Des Voeux Road West c.1930

Tue, 04/09/2024 - 16:53

Source: This image came from Flickr, see https://www.flickr.com/photos/hoting2000/15533882972/

A photo showing many interesting places. On the left we see a canvas-roofed tram heading for Causeway Bay. This type of tram was introduced in 1913 and used for probably about two decades.

Following Hill Road, we see at the end the Luen Shing Hotel, South Lane [????-????].

Above the hotel are the Overseer’s Quarters, Elliot Filter Beds [1925- ]

On the corner of Des Voeux Road with Hill Road is the Kam Ling Hotel [1919-????]

In front of the hotel are Three petrol stations Shek tong Tsui [c.1929-c.1989] (Socony, Texaco, and Shell).

The date of the photo was estimated to be around 1930, possibly also end of the 1920s, but later than 1925.

Date picture taken
1930 (year is approximate)


Think the petrol stations are located inside the loop of the first Whitty Street Tram Terminus. The tram is leaving the loop/terminus, otherwise it should be behind the petrol stations.