Everything tagged "chapter 3" | Gwulo: Old Hong Kong

Everything tagged "chapter 3"

Tkachenko's

Date picture taken (to nearest decade for older photos): 
2009

Howard Building

Date picture taken (to nearest decade for older photos): 
2009
Places shown in this photo: 

Hing Loon Curio & Jewellry

Date picture taken (to nearest decade for older photos): 
2009
Places shown in this photo: 

Hing Loon Curio and Jewellry [????- ]

Tkachenko's, 3 Hankow Road [????- ]

Thanks to Raymond for confirming the address was 3, Hankow Rd. Would that have been on the South-West corner of the junction with Middle Rd - where the N.E. corner of the YMCA building stands today?

Several other people added notes.

Russian restaurants. IDJ wrote:

646 Nathan Road (former site of Lee Chun Kee and Company) [????- ]

This is the 'GoogleEarthified' location of #646. Seems as though it is currently occupied by the Tao Tak Building (which also takes up 642 -> 646).

Kowloon Junior School [????- ]

Kowloon Junior School currently has two sites, this one next to Argyle Street, and another one over at Begonia Rd in Kowloon Tong. The latter is due to close down so the school can operate from a single site (i.e. this one) from 2011.

 Here is Booth's description again: "surrounded by a six-foot chain-link fence on the other side of which was a steep drop to the dusty football field of another school".

Royal Navy bungalows on north slope of Mount Nicholson [1947-1960]

Date Place completed: 
1947-01-01
Date Place demolished: 
1960-01-01

Booth doesn't mention whereabouts on Mt Nicholson he stays, just that it a friend's bungalow for the few days before they moved to the Fourseas Hotel.

Star Ferry Terminal, TST (previous generation) [1907-c.1957]

Date Place completed: 
c.1907-01-01 (Month, Day are approximate)
Date Place demolished: 
c.1957-07-01 (Year, Month, Day are approximate)

The Peninsula Hotel [1927- ]

Date Place completed: 
1927-01-01

It opened as a hotel in 1928, but the building was completed earlier than that. From the hotel group's website:

1927 - The Peninsula taken over by military authorities, accommodating The Second Battalion, The Coldstream Guards and a battalion of The Devonshire Regiment; soldiers vacated the hotel a year later.

1928 - The Peninsula officially opened to the public by Sir Wilfred Thomas Southorn CMG, Governor of Hong Kong.

Pages

Subscribe to Everything tagged "chapter 3"