Everything tagged "connaught road" | Gwulo: Old Hong Kong

Everything tagged "connaught road"

SCMP Headquarters during the 1906 typhoon

Date picture taken (to nearest decade for older photos): 
1906

Heavy weather, the matshed above Blake Pier has already vanished.

The piers are Blake Pier, P&O Pier, Douglas Steamship Wharf and Pottinger Street Pier. 

1965 Central reclamation

Mid-1960s, the time when drastic changes occured along the waterfront (i.e. Connaught Road). Reclamation works started (extreme right)

From the left

General Post Ofiice

P&O Building (5th generation)

Grand Building

Fung House (first generation)

empty lot (Chinese Club Building will come in 1966)

Heung Lam Building ( a very slim building)

The Chinese General Chamber of Commerce Building

34, 35, 36, 37 Connaught Road Central (at least a few of these houses left)

Date picture taken (to nearest decade for older photos): 
1965

1954 Central waterfront

On Flickr the date is given as 1961, but it's earlier.

The buildings on the left are at 15-23, Connaught Road. They are nine ones, eight are visible. Three houses in the centre were demolished around 1955 and replaced by Fung House in 1956/7. 

When you look at the houses in the centre, you look through the upper floor as if the roof has been removed already.
So the date is before that, likely 1954 as the building of the Chinese Chamber of Commerce is already there (opened in 1954).

Date picture taken (to nearest decade for older photos): 
1954

Nine Arches Buildings 15-23, Connaught Road [1903-c.1962]

Date Place completed: 
1903-01-01
Date Place demolished: 
c.1962-01-01 (Year, Month, Day are approximate)

Buildings on Marine Lots 62 and 10a    =    15-23, Connaught Road. David gave them their name: Nine Arches Buildings.

They were built shortly after central reclamation finished, possibly 1903. The left 3 houses were occupied by the South China Morning Post.

1960s_blake_pier.jpg

Date picture taken (to nearest decade for older photos): 
1961

Cropped from 1960s Blake Pier

Looks as if the houses 21-23 Connaught Road are being demolished.

Nine Buildings 15-23, Connaught Road (1958)

Date picture taken (to nearest decade for older photos): 
1958

Cropped from 1950s Central Waterfront (West of Pedder Street)

From the 9 buildings only Nos 21-23 Connaught Road are still standing, Nos 15-20 are new (Fung House) or still under construction /Grand Building)..

Nine Buildings 15-23, Connaught Road (1956)

Date picture taken (to nearest decade for older photos): 
1956

Cropped from 1956 Central_.jpg

From the 9 buildings Nos 15-17 and 21-23 Connaught Road are still standing, Nos 18-20 are demolished and Fung House is under construction.

Nine Buildings 15-23, Connaught Road (1941)

Date picture taken (to nearest decade for older photos): 
1941

Buildings with nine arches Nos 15-23, Connaught Road (1907)

Date picture taken (to nearest decade for older photos): 
1907

Cropped from Connaught Road ca. 1907

Shows buildings with nine arches Nos 15-23, Connaught Road and the "South China Morning Post Ltd" sign.

Connaught Road ca. 1907

This photo is similar to this one from 1906, but taken a bit later as the progress on building General Post Office is obvious.

Date picture taken (to nearest decade for older photos): 
1907

Pages

Subscribe to Everything tagged "connaught road"